Bench top pillar drill question.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pidgeonpost

Established Member
Reaction score
I've recently acquired an elderly bench top pillar drill. The victim of an abusive relationship, it has lost the drilling depth gauge/bolt. I can thread a piece of rod to suit but I wonder if someone with a similar drill could give me an idea of length please? It's also missing the return spring so any ideas on that would be good too. Any clues appreciated. Thanks.
20240430_161355.jpg

It may be elderly, but it is the same as every other Chinese drill press sold over the last 25 years.

See, for example, this current offering from SIP:

https://www.kendaltools.co.uk/woodw...ip-01710-b13-5-speed-350w-bench-pillar-drill/

There are hundreds of other useful pictures if you search Google images.

You could buy the retuns spring as a spare part form SIP or Sealey or Machine Mart.

You could buy the depth stop rod form the same sources.

In the picture of the SIP one, you can scale the length of the rod. With the quill fully extended until it hits its own stop, the rod needs to be long enough to allow the two thin nuts and the pointer to be above the cast-in stop on the body of the drill.

The drill is missing the clamp around the quill that takes the bottom of the depth stop rod. Download the exploded diagram from Sealey and you can see what it looks like (a piece of plate with two holes - one quill-sized that clamps, the other smaller and with a female thread for the depth stop).

You'll probably find the same thing under the nu-tools, naerok, rexon, and many more names just as @ChaiLatte says.
To the length of the bolt: they are pretty much useless as a means of measuring but they are handy for setting a limit and drilling multiple holes at the same depth. That being the case, just use as long a length of all-thread as will fit without banging into the belt cover on top.

Thanks for your replies folks. I admit to a degree of laziness here as far as the long depth stop bolt goes as I'd pretty much decided on a length of studding. Then I found I didn't have any. But I do have a length of 10mm rod which I'm putting a thread using the smallest die-holder known to man so it's a bit of a sweat. SIP can supply the spring but have quoted a silly price for delivery so I'll look elsewhere.

Clarke also as well. As a temporary fix a bungee hooked on the operating handle will help as a return on short stroke work. I'd not spend too much on it, but it does have cast base and table, some are pressed and lighter duty.

It is a Nutool CH10, this place has spares or you could have a look on ebay, maybe a bit pricey but it should give you an idea.

Rod length is 117mm

View attachment 180675

https://solenttools.co.uk/product/solent-tools-return-spring-compatible-with-nutool-ch10/
Thanks, this one's a SIP but they're clearly out of the same stable. Handy to know the bolt length to aim for, and the link. @Richard_C I'd possibly have gone for something a bit newer but this one was pretty much a give-away. 😊

Thanks, this one's a SIP but they're clearly out of the same stable. Handy to know the bolt length to aim for, and the link. @Richard_C I'd possibly have gone for something a bit newer but this one was pretty much a give-away. 😊
There's a Draper one exactly the same as well. Mine was brand new, still in the box when I picked mine up. I'm not complaining for £60. :)

Back