Bathroom cabinet 2 - replacement for failed project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david simper

Established Member
Reaction score
This project follows on from one that went disastrously wrong, which some of you who sent me such kind comment might remember. It is intended to provide additional storage space for our apparently never ending accumulation of toiletries and bathroom acoutrements.

The construction is basic using simple haunched housing joints. Mortise and tenon joints were used for the doors. A homemade ash trim was used to add a little contrast and decoration and to cover the end grain in places.The back is plain old 4mm ply sunk into a 10mm rebate, much of which was planed away to get the piece to fit our dire plastering in the bathroom.

Here's a link to my Flickr page for a full set of WIP pictures:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stanley_cl ... 20/detail/

As ever I am not entirely happy - there are issues with the design (my wife says it's too wide at top and bottom and she's right - she can make the next one), workmanship (too many gaps) and finishing (uneven and sticky). However, I am relishing this as a satisfying project that has produced a useful piece of furniture using and practising a good range of techniques.

Apart from the trusty band saw, drill press and some power sanding at the end, this job has been completed largely with hand tools. This makes it more satisfying for me, saves on the electricity bill and means a little less carbon emitted.

I hope that you enjoy looking at the pics.
:)

Hi Dave,

Great that you decided to have another go after the disappointment of the first attempt :wink:

It's turned out really well and the WIP pictures are great.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Dave, that looks super. Well done for persevering with the new design.

Very nice,Dave - like the finished article,and thoroughly enjoyed reading the build on your Flickr page :D

Andrew

Dave,

A good looking cabinet, well done.
I like to see the tools used to make things, you have a good selection of tools. I have started to cut tenons on the band saw, it works well as your pictures show.

Hi Dave,

Good you made a second run =D> I liked the WIPs and above all the use of the #45 for making rabbets. 8) That's a nice piece of furniture.

Back