Baby teether.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mar_mite

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I've done a bit of research and can't seem to find a definite answer. Two of my mates have recently had babies and I thought it would be nice to make them teethers as a gift. (And an excuse to use my lathe) I've a bit of walnut left over from a job, but I'm not sure if walnut is safe for a kid to chew on. Can anyone help?

Linked in the forum help stickies
walnut.jpg

Attachments

• walnut.jpg
    walnut.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 1,842
CHJ":1b40sgie said:
Received and understood. I've got to go the the hardwood merchants anyway. Any recommendations for a wood to use? I'm going to attempt captured rings. Just out interest, beech was in that table of horrible woods, with all sorts of nasties associated with it, but all of my daughters shop bought toys are made from it. Can't be that bad.

Most of the problems are with the fine dust, I presume the sealing and finishing of toys forms a pretty good barrier.

Was going to either leave it bare or put a coat of olive oil on them. I read on here fruit woods are best. I'll look into that.

Sycamore or beech should be fine as they are often used for food items. Someone I was in discussion with about baby rattles said that trading standards had told them that they had to be fruit woods but there's no actual regulation that states this, just that it should be fit for purpose. One person commented that sycamore can be brittle so should be avoided but I've not had any problems with it in the tests that I've run.
I'm sure it will be, but also make sure that the ring is wider than the EU toy regulation size. I can't remember the size but there was a discussion about rattles recently. You may not be selling them or a business giving them away for free, but you might as well stick to the regulations in an attempt not to choke anyone's child.

For a teether I suspect that any finish you apply won't be in place for long unless you use a tough plastic coat. I'd probably just burning them with shavings and explain to the parents that they will dull. For my rattles I use Rustins Danish oil and it survives mouths fairly well.

I really think that is something I would steer away from. The chances of splinters, bitten of chunks when teething, crooked teeth for same reason..... I don't think I would feel comfortable with my child having a wooden rattle.

< at 45 he probably wouldn't feel comfortable about it either>

I stand to be shot down in flames here but, I had wooden toys as a kid. My grandfather used to make them. I don't remember being ill or getting splinters etc. because of them.
I make a few rattles, usually cherry because I have an abundance of it, but have used beech too. I usually use mineral oil as a finish and let the parents know to wash the rattles in soapy water and re-coat with mineral oil if they get dirty.

I can understand concerns

but didn't we all have pull along wooden blocks etc that we used to chew at
animal shaped jigsaw pieces
probably just household paint

I am soon to be a granddad and relish the thought of making toys
I will read everything and be cautious....but we all survived

Steve

Yeabut.
By the time kids are walking and into pull along toys and building blocks etc the instinct to put everything into the mouth and chew on it has settled down some. and perhaps new parents have become a little less nervous.

have a look online at what others are selling. They are often free with telling you what finish it has and what it is made from. We had a wooden teething ring for our youngest and he gummed that thing as hard as he could. Loved it. Looks like it was finished with some food safe oil.

Those little teeth wont create any splinters. Just round it all over well and finish with what others are using as the norm.

HTH

whilst researching cot safety......boring as hell
I think the best option was Danish

even beeswax was frowned upon due to allergies
olive oil may go rancid

Steve

I had a cow made of lead as a kid - probably coated in lead based paint too but I licked that off! It reappeared in the toy box my Mum put together for my children …..
A bit of wood may have a few dangers, but my we 'ad it tough!

Olive oil can go rancid. Plain vegetable cooking oil is fine and I have used that on several beech rattles.

Simon

Thanks for all the replies, I think I'll use a fruit wood. And good thinking about the olive oil simon. I'm not very good at turning, but I'll try to post some pics once they are done. (Might be a couple of weeks)

I have no idea as to how many rattles I have made for babies and they are spread from Aussie to the US and so far I have had no sort of feedback about problems. All bar a couple of them have gone to people I know so I would hear if there were any.

I have always used sunflower oil on mine and the only query was from Trading Standards in Gloucester when I told them. The blokes query was "Will it burn". I was tempted to reply that of course it will bloody well burn, it's oiled wodd!! He told me to hold a match under one for 5 seconds and if it didn't catch fire it would be OK :cry: :cry:

A teething ring in beech should not be any problem. As has been said, just make sure it isn't delicate, no sharp edges and just make it big enough so that it can't be swallowed. I don't know of any children who have suffered with misaligned teeth from what must be one of the oldest teething aids in the world?

Finished the tethers. In cherry with sunflower oil on them. I'm quite pleased. This is the third thing I've ever turned (although one thing was 4 table legs). I could get the bug for this turning thing. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 664
Nice job there Mar-m, although I definately would not have used cherry !!

Only kidding, they look lovely and whoever gets them for their sprogs will be chuffed to bits :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Turning has to be one of the most infectious things you can get up to. It was something that I was never going to get involved with :shock: Famous last words.. Did you use a ring tool? I made my own out of an old 1 1/4" firmer chisel after seeing the price of shop bought jobbies. It hardly gets any pressure on it so it's perfectly safe to use and so far, after gawd knows how many years it's only needed sharpening a couple of times. I thought I had a photo of it? I'll get one and show you what it looks like.

Back