Axminster AW305WL - I'm sniffing the bait.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pidgeonpost

Established Member
Reaction score
I've done bits and pieces of turning (mostly knobs, handles, legs and spindles for furniture I've made) over the last 50 years, but I sold my Myford ML8 about 13 years ago to help fund another project. I now fancy getting a small lathe to help use some of the small oddments of timber accumulated over the years. There are plenty out there, but I don't need a long bed length or the ability to turn large diameter stuff, besides which space is a bit tight for something the size of an ML8. This Axminster lathe sounds about right for size and power, but are there others I should consider? Plenty of other similar looking jobs on the market, many of Oriental origin I suspect. The Axminster warranty seems decent, as do the reviews.
I keep looking around on the forum, eBay, and FB Marketplace as I might just come across a used deal that includes some tooling as all mine sold with the last lathe. Thoughts appreciated.

https://www.axminstertools.com/axminster-workshop-aw305wl-woodturning-lathe-230v-107674

Not commenting on the lathe, but if you can get some tooling in any deal its a good thing. Chuck, jaws, odd bits and pieces, tools (even a basic set of 6) and some way to sharpen them will set you back far more that a lathe of that type/price point.

Not commenting on the lathe, but if you can get some tooling in any deal its a good thing. Chuck, jaws, odd bits and pieces, tools (even a basic set of 6) and some way to sharpen them will set you back far more that a lathe of that type/price point.
Yes, I found that out to my cost some years ago when I bought a Boxford lathe with no tooling. However, I'm lucky in that I kept my bench grinder and last week a friendly neighbour offered me a set of decent* woodturning chisels FOC. I didn't immediately accept as I was, and still am, a bit uncertain which direction to take i.e. new bare machine and add tooling or s/hand deal including tooling. I think even a chuck is close to £200 for the Axminster machine. It soon adds up!

Have you looked through the for sale section as there was one not long back and also put something into the wanted section and see what you get offered.
I've been keeping an eye on the 'for sale' stuff, and did spot an Axminster a while back, and that was what got me thinking about them. I've seen concerns expressed about the electronics on the variable speed lathes which could be a concern on a secondhand machine. Maybe the newer ones are a bit more robust. Changing belts and pulleys never really bothered me on other machines.
Good point about the 'wanted' section, and I might do that at some point. At the moment I'm still rather at the dithery stage.

At the moment I'm still rather at the dithery stage.
Age? No need to tell us. But may be relevant.

I was dithery about a Coronet Herald. My thinking, I can afford it, spending it is no detriment to anyone else in the family, I'm 71, with good fortune I might be physically and mentally able to do good work for a few more years, if I don't do it now when will I? So I did. In context, and you think of such things as you get older, a decent lathe set up = less than 2 weeks care home fees. Plus I could sell it for (say) half what I paid so less than a week really. Might help you un-dither.

I have one of these lathes for sale in the ‘for sale’ forum.
It’s the older style branding, but the same spec machine. I’ve been very happy with it, and would be keeping it indefinitely if I hadn’t been given another lathe.
Pm me if you would like to discuss it

Age? No need to tell us. But may be relevant.

I was dithery about a Coronet Herald. My thinking, I can afford it, spending it is no detriment to anyone else in the family, I'm 71, with good fortune I might be physically and mentally able to do good work for a few more years, if I don't do it now when will I? So I did. In context, and you think of such things as you get older, a decent lathe set up = less than 2 weeks care home fees. Plus I could sell it for (say) half what I paid so less than a week really. Might help you un-dither.
Ha ha! Thanks for that. I'm 75 and been processing some of the same thoughts as yourself. I'm hoping to fund buying the lathe using some of the money raised recently by the sale of metalworking kit so I have a self-imposed budget.
I see that Axminster offer is off the table at the moment as it's now showing as out of stock.

Back