Axminster AW10 Saw Owners - What jigs do you use?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my ZCI on mine are 3mm ply made from 2 layers of 1.5mm, with another small section of 1.5mm added to reinforce the un supported section, i have also considered making them from HIPS which is not as brittle as acrylic, im planning on trying to computer cut my next batch on a new die/plotter cutter i got for work today ether in HIPS or the thin ply.

I use aluminium sheet its 3mm thick. Most road sign makers can supply anodised 3mm ali as offcuts.

-Neil

Do you cut through the alu with your wood blade?

I'm still a little new to this, but people seem to suggest these are "throw away" items, how exactly do they get worn out? presumably once the blade has made its full cut there's no further contact?

I was thinking to potentially flush trim using a router from the original plate, onto whatever material i decide on... i've seen a few people using hardboard, but it looks well sketchy, there's one video on youtube.

ZCIs get worn out in two ways.

First, sawblades wobble a bit and the slot becomes wider at the front than further back.

Secondly, as soon as you lower the blade, the ZCI is only ZC at the sides, it is not ZC at the front so you can still get chipping of, for example, MFC

It's a pity that this saw appears to be so unfriendly in this regard, I do hear what people say.

once i learn how to use this cutting machine im stetting up i will gladly make them for people on here

I think there would be scope for making a carrier/cradle that fits into the relieved area and has a rectangular rebate perhaps 6-9mm deep with adjuster grub-screws in which to fit owner-made inserts.

monkeybiter":2dq0sj7v said:
I think there would be scope for making a carrier/cradle that fits into the relieved area and has a rectangular rebate perhaps 6-9mm deep with adjuster grub-screws in which to fit owner-made inserts.
Unfortunately, the arbor washer and riving knife also cause problems for home made inserts.

If someone (giant) could make an insert blank that had a rebate for the perimeter, a slot for the riving knife and a recess for the arbor washer / nut, then all you'd need to do is to insert it and raise the blade to make a zero clearance cut.

I'd buy a bunch!

Both the caddy or just cncd replacements both sound like good ideas, surprised someone isn't already on it. I'd certainly shell out for a few as well, save some hassle. Got enough jobs to do :)

If I had more room, I'd fancy a cnc... still trying to work out how to squeeze in a bandsaw, smaller bench... it bandsaw ... hah that's me all day at the moment.

Just to illustrate, here's an upside down view of one of my more fitted inserts...

96bb60ade2c6db375d65d0592edc768d.jpg

monkeybiter":1f1z9zd0 said:
Here are my current inserts:-

my current ply one looks similar to yours Monkey & thats what im working on making with my computer cutter.

my intention is to have the knife slot pre cut so as Matt said, you fit & just raise the blade.

nothing hits the bottom of mine when the blade is fully up, its only 4.5mm thick though

MattRoberts":1tfo9e66 said:
Monkey, does the arbor washer not hit the bottom of yours at max blade height?

With the blade raised to ~100mm the 'arbor washer' [with the holes for the tommy bar] is approx 22mm below the table surface.

Do you cut through the alu with your wood blade?

Yes I just fit the blank insert and screw it down. Remove the riving knife. Then I clamp a piece of wood over the top of the insert for support to stop the insert bending upwards (and in case it all goes horribly wrong it might stop the insert from flying off). Then I run the saw and wind the blade up through the insert. Finally remove the insert and extend the slot with a saw and file to allow the riving knife through.

As Steve says it's not really zero clearance for long, but it is a world better than the massive gap the factory fitted insert leaves. The factory insert on my TS200 only covers one side of the blade the rest is missing a centimetre to allow for tilting the blade.

-Neil

Latest posts

Back