AWVSL1000 vs W821+extension table vs CL3-CAM

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prezio

Established Member
Reaction score
Guys,

I know it was few topics about some lathes long time ago;)
I try to refresh because on the internet is very hard to find any reviews about Charnwood.
I try to choice 1 lathe soon and now I stay at front of choice between:
- Charnwood W821 + Extension table + chuck-> Electronic speed control , Bowls' dia max 12" no more, the fastest speed, the chuck in the same price like rest lathes. (or maybe W813?)
- Axminster AWVSL1000 - multispeed with possibilities to turn motor and higher bowls' turning dia, lower speed than W821. stand for Lathe, need to buy chuck
- Record Power CL3-CAM - - multispeed with possibilities to turn motor and higher bowls' turning dia, lower speed than w821, but for higher dia I need to buy some additional extensions. (or DML305 + extension), need to buy chuck

Prices are very similar, but additional futures are different;)
Is anybody who can say some opinions? Please

I have a AWVSL1000 bought as my first lathe. Overall I rate it as good value for money but there are a few points to make:

1. Maximum speed is not an issue - just cut a little more slowly/carefully. Minimum speed is important if you intend to turn large items and I have found that 12-14 inches is the effective maximum unless the blank is very well balanced before you start. Even at minimum speed safety is compromised as the blank will try to escape the chuck or rattle the lathe (like driving a car with severely unbalanced wheels).
2. Quality of finish is not wonderful but fit for purpose (just). You need to check bolts and fixings at regular intervals or they can shake loose.
3. The variomatic is relatively noisy - not ear defender noisy but far more than other lathes with simple belt/pulleys. Car analogy again - windows open vs closed.

I have not used the Charnwood. I have used a variable speed version of the Record (CL4) and would rate it a very good lathe, albeit much more expensive. All down to budget - I am considering upgrading to full variable speed, but for a first time purchase I have no regrets over the Axminster.

Terry

Thx Terry;)

I'm thinking about CL3-CAM and after few time;) upgrade to CL4. - will see.
But I'm still thinking about W821 because has quite good opinions, and after few years (later) sell it and buy new one - better..
We'll see - I have to think

Back