Astral glazed doors, which style?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawdust maker

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi I need your advice. As some will know I am making a break fronted bookcase, have been doing so for the last 18 months. Got the base made and now doing the top. Originally the door was to have curved astral glazing bars, but I have dropped that idea and now am considering straight bars. (a lot easier). The first thought was to use a traditional 13 panel design. But now I am thinking of making them to match a corner cupboard my brother made some 30 years ago.
RIMG0032.jpg

These are the Sketch Up drawings of the two styles
Door4.png

Which should I use?

Have to say I prefer the more "traditional" design on the left. BUT, if there is some family significance in the other one, go for that - if nothing else, it might make a furniture connoisseur in 3 generations time wonder about them :)

Personally I prefer the traditional one.
But, if you've already got something with the other style in it then it makes sense to replicate it - having different styles of glass in the same room would look odd.

I prefer the one on the right, personally, I can't wait to see the finished item, would that I had the hands and skill to produce the same. :(
time will tell.

Good luck with your project.

Rich.

Thanks. Traditional it is. So with some luck it will look like this.
TopCentreConstructed.png

However I have a little problem that needs sorting. I have got this far with the top units. It is made up of three units. Here the central and righthand side are in place. The problem I have discovered is the central unit is slightly out of winding. Something I must sort.
Sofarsogood.jpg

The sides, top ad bottom are dovetailed together. The back is only screwed in place so can easily be removed. I am thinking of injecting warm water into the dovetail joints in the hope of loosening the joint so the central unit can be twisted square. Do you think this will work? I don't want to remake the unit and the doors will not hang correctly if the twist is not put right. Anyone with another idea let me know, please.

Back