Applying features with router and indexer.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi NickN
Sorry for the late reply.
If you are planning on making a router jig I would not recommend using wood for the index plate.
Stability is essential and wear resistance. It would also be very difficult to drill accurately.
I used acrylic sheet, which is already starting to wear. Rigidity and the elimination of play (not as in fun) are crucial
in the design. Routers are aggressive little beasts so be careful!

Thanks for your compliments but this thread is getting ridiculously long. It's kind of embarrassing. I'm surprised I've not been asked
to .... er off.

Good luck with new workshop.

Bob

Your pieces are amazing !! I've never seen owt quite like it. Keep posting pics please.

Out of curiosity does it take ages cleaning up all the routey bits, or is it pretty good straight off the router ? I'd be interested to see a before finish/sanding if you get chance.

Nice work [WINKING FACE]

Coley

Coley
See page6 first pic. for as cut finish. If dense wood, little or no finish preparation is needed. Care is needed with cutter speed, attitude and sharpness though.

Bob

A swan song to end this dying thread.

Attachments

• DSC02718.1024.jpg
    DSC02718.1024.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 1,027
  • DSC02698.1024.jpg
    DSC02698.1024.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 1,028
  • DSC02708.1024.jpg
    DSC02708.1024.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 1,029
Thanks Sploo and WM, always appreciated.

Sadly, got to get on with some real work now.

ATB Bob

Hi

it's taken a while, but I've finally had a go at emulating some of what Bob showed us here.

I'm quite pleased with the results so far:

IMG_6230.JPG

IMG_6234b.JPG

IMG_6231b.JPG

IMG_6232.JPG

The jig really is pretty simple, and was designed based on the hints Bob posted here. Thanks Bob - a really enjoyable reverse engineering exercise!

Cheers, Peter

Attachments

• IMG_6230.JPG
    IMG_6230.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 776
  • IMG_6232.JPG
    IMG_6232.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 777
  • IMG_6231b.JPG
    IMG_6231b.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 777
  • IMG_6234b.JPG
    IMG_6234b.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 778
Oh bug..r what am I gonna do now? Well done Pete. Fine bit of work. You're going to have some fun now. I've moved on a bit lately so I might post a few more challenges for you. So glad to see someone pick up this thread again. Thanks and happy routing Pete.

Four boxes made from a bloodwood spindle blank. Recently completed the set. 2 were posted earlier.

Attachments

• DSC03803sss.jpg
    DSC03803sss.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 697
Phil, so sorry to hear that news. Feel for you mate. Hope your prospects improve so you can get some turning back into your life.

Back