Applying features with router and indexer.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry guys, I'm gonna bore you with another one.

Blood wood. Very brittle but dense.

Bob

Attachments

• DSC02497.JPG1024.jpg
    DSC02497.JPG1024.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 900
  • DSC02501.jpg1024.jpg
    DSC02501.jpg1024.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 901
  • DSC02500.1024a.jpg
    DSC02500.1024a.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 902
  • DSC02488.1024a.jpg
    DSC02488.1024a.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 901
Which finial 1,2 or 3? Long fragile classical finials are beautiful but not suitable for practical pieces.

I'm working on a new jig to cut non-circular (e.g. ellipsoid) forms off the lathe. Will start a new thread when
results are decent.

Bob

Attachments

• DSC02528.1024.JPG
    DSC02528.1024.JPG
    188.8 KB · Views: 783
  • DSC02530.1024.jpg
    DSC02530.1024.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 783
  • DSC02525.1024JPG.jpg
    DSC02525.1024JPG.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 783
  • DSC02512.1024JPG.jpg
    DSC02512.1024JPG.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 783
Thanks Phil and sploo. I presented it to my wife with 1 and got sent away to do better. Seems she was right.

I hope this invitation to comment was not seen as arrogant. So many members appear reluctant to post opinions and it seemed a simple way
to get some involvement without fear of contradiction.

NazNomad":8newtbkb said:
Woodmonkey":8newtbkb said:
That's beautiful, i would love to see the jig in action

I don't think we ever will.

So many of the discussions on this forum relate to hardware and technique with relatively little on results.
I have deliberately avoided opening a debate on the design of my set-up. The means will overshadow the end. I have only shown results. When I started this thread I assumed that others would share their experiences and achievements. If you have a real interest in in this technique, give it a go. Its not that difficult. I will help anyone that is prepared to invest some effort of their own. You will never discover anything new if you are following a map.

Sorry but that's life.

Just read the entire thread. Must say all your pieces look stunning !!!
I have a query regarding your setup- its pretty vague but understand if you'd rather not answer.
Do you do the routing with a traditional type router with a base, or is it more a die grinder type thing so you can get closer to the workpiece ?
I'm pretty cack when it comes to lathe work but with some 40 grit and alot of scraping I can produce basic shapes lol
Keep producing the things of beauty !!!

Coley

Hi Coley.
Its a de-mountable AEG router. Like a die-grinder - yes

You use 40 grit eh? Sounds like an interesting texture. Don't be afraid to scrape - you can expend a lot of time and effort doing it "properly".
Do what gets results. I do but I've turned no more than 50 pieces ever. I bought a whole suite of turning tools. Now all the tools I use are home-made bar the roughing gouge.
The secret - Patience and sharpness.

Good Luck

Bob

Thanks Bob. Very inspiring work !
Do you make any other bits with wood or is it mainly lathe work ?

Thanks again.

Coley

I prefer number 2, but all three have their merits. You could screw it on and swap them over every so often. Chances are your wife will change her mind anyway!

As much as I'd love to see your jig thing, I quite like looking at your pieces and trying to work out the router path and how you've controlled it.

Cheers

They're not in your league WP but they do the job. Cheap HSS off amazon. Just simple tools
I'll gather them together and post a pic later on. They weren't made to be seen so don't expect much.
They are scaled to my work though which makes all the difference.

Bob

paulrockliffe":2e3zxbxc said:
You could screw it on and swap them over every so often. Chances are your wife will change her mind anyway!

Paul,
Gone are the days when a little screwing would please the wife! Nice idea though.

Bob

Back