Any ideas

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
what the purpose of this is? The cable is actually bright orange.
DSC_0000232.jpg

What is on the other end? If it appears there is nothing, is there the remains of a temporary campsite there?

That’s connected to either 11KV or 33KV, I’m no expert in overhead wiring but that looks both lethal and a huge fire risk. Report it to your areas provider it needs sorting before someone gets killed. If anyone gets close to it, they will be fried….literally.

That's the type gear used to get the HV cables to earth potential, when working downstream on them, it is probably connected to the ground side of the insulated back stay, they use a long insulated pole to reach up to clip them on.

That's the type gear used to get the HV cables to earth potential, when working downstream on them, it is probably connected to the ground side of the insulated back stay, they use a long insulated pole to reach up to clip them on.

I would agree. They did this when cutting the trees back, in our garden.

As above, when the power is switched off on a section of high voltage line the section can act as a capacitor and hold a lethal charge. This must be earthed before anyone works near or on the line.

Yes, it’s definitely an earthing set. That overhead line has been switched out and the earth lead is to make it safe to work on. I supervised the fitting of many of these during my career.

Latest posts

Back