Another Amazon web site rip off

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie_Neil

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have seen an ad appear on the right hand side of the forum for the Jet JBOS-5 for the princely sum of 886.80 plus delivery.

It's retail price is anywhere between 330 and 360.

My question is, if I click the ad and it takes me to the Amazon site, will it cost the seller anything?

If it does, I really feel like clicking into it repeatedly. :twisted:

Thanks,
Neil

Rip off??

How so?

He's offering something for a price and you can either choose to buy it or not. No-one is forcing anyone to buy anything.

To me, a rip off is when you pay for something, and you don't receive it, or it's damaged, or not fit purpose for example and when you complain the buyer tells you to get lost

Or am I wrong?

It's not actually being sold (fulfilled) by Amazon but by Alex Whyte.
Dispatched from and sold by Alex Whyte.
Why not contact him and ask if he's made a pricing mistake?

Newbie_Neil":pndnbk3x said:
Hi all,

I have seen an ad appear on the right hand side of the forum for the Jet JBOS-5 for the princely sum of 886.80 plus delivery.

It's retail price is anywhere between 330 and 360.

I've been wondering what this 'Cleva Edition' thing is about, it's quite bizarre.
There's also loads of Festool gear listed as Cleva Edition at between 2 and 5 times the normal price:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=festool+cleva+edition
Googled it, can't see anything except other people wondering what on earth it's all about.

came to this late via a Googling session.

This Alex Whyte bozo constantly advertises tools etc.. for an insanely marked-up price. Not just couple of percent, but often, routinely, 400% or more.
Obviously no-one in their right mind is going to pay this kind of premium knowingly, so it has to be relying on something else. All I can surmise is that he - it - relies on accidental clicking on the product page to get the occasional sale, or that maybe folks buying for someone else's wish list buy the first example they encounter without researching further options. I would doubt that he/they actually carry any stock but simply "purchase on your behalf" and re-route the shipping,
The argument that one can choose to buy or not is a complete red-herring with this scam behaviour. It's tantamount to fraud, trading on gullability and good intentions and really, this bloke/organization needs taking down in the public interest.

I don't know if this is the same with Amazon, but on ebay this often seems to be the case that an item is vastly overpriced - insanly so. The reality, at least on ebay, is that a relist is free, but a new ad costs money; so for items that are currently out of stock, they do the relist - and relist - and relist - until they get more stock then relist again at the proper price.

To relist an item on these sites costs so to avoid removing and then relisting when out of stock they just make the price ridiculously expensive to avoid people ordering, or so I've been told..

Andy

Ahhhh......is that the reason ebay sellers put an item up for a ridiculous price......I often wondered about that......many a time I've been looking, for example, a £12.50 item and have seen the same item up for £125.00........now I know, thanks :)

Latest posts

Back