Aldi bandsaw....does anybody have one and can comment?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would not knock the bandsaw that hard, it is manufactured to a price, but it can cut and do a good job.

So what! your table does not meet the standard of a £1000 plus machine but the Aldi can still do a satisfactory cut if handled within its capabilites.

A new blade supplied by Ian at Tuff saws (a 9mm ripping blade) did this cut through 2" thick hard wood and cleaned up OK with a hand plane and will create
perfect mitre or dovetail joint corners.
(I hope to do a review of a selection of blades supplied by above in the near future)

Attachments

• ian  9mm blade w.jpg
    ian 9mm blade w.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 1,763
For the money it's incredible. I mean motors, switches frame etc. Ship it across the world and it's £80! Cant see the bend in table will be a problem for most work and and you can allow for it when it's critical. Have fun with it John

Bodgers":1116qwp2 said:
That table is terrible. I suppose a cheap Bandsaw is better than no Bandsaw, but I don't think I could live with that.

I would take it back and sink some more money into something with a decent table and motor.

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

That's easy to say if you have more money than sense. The next band saw up price wise is quite a hike and not everyone is that flush with money

bourbon":qt14jq4x said:
Bodgers":qt14jq4x said:
That table is terrible. I suppose a cheap Bandsaw is better than no Bandsaw, but I don't think I could live with that.

I would take it back and sink some more money into something with a decent table and motor.

That's easy to say if you have more money than sense. The next band saw up price wise is quite a hike and not everyone is that flush with money

Excellent comment!

Its an £80 bandsaw with a 3 year warranty. As Scheppach are the warranty agents for Aldi a phone call may result in a replacement table. Aldi are excellent at replacing products you are unhappy with from shop stocks but I doubt that there are many around now. My local sold 10 in less than an hour.

My Aldi table is not 100% flat across all planes but then neither was my Startrite 403 when it was delivered. Must admit that I couldn't live with that at £1100........and didn't!

The Aldi saw is a cracking little machine and like Devonwoody, Tuffsaws are about to relieve me of a couple of beer tokens though the supplied blade is suprisingly good.

I'm going to have a go with it this morning. I wasn't griping, I guess you come to expect something like that for such a bargain! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simou1":2t0eupf7 said:
I doubt that there are many around now. My local sold 10 in less than an hour.

They are still available online with free delivery. Mine arrived yesterday.

Oddly enough, mine has a bow too.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    251.5 KB · Views: 1,737
Hahah well played!

Well I've just had a quick play and I have to say, what amazing fun! One thing I must ask- how does one support the work as it goes through- taking a veneer for example, there's not enough room for a push stick so do you have to push it through by hand exercising caution?!

It sank through a chunk of Meranti easily and took a 1mm pine veneer effortlessly and actually evenly too!

I couldn't help noticing that our own Peter Millard has just made one of his admirably clear videos about this, saying what a good deal it is. I hope he doesn't mind me pointing it out.

I'd buy one if I wasn't so happy with my old Burgess, which is still working well.

https://youtu.be/GAmUi7qMDHg

AndyT":2bddsq4q said:
I couldn't help noticing that our own Peter Millard has just made one of his admirably clear videos about this, saying what a good deal it is. I hope he doesn't mind me pointing it out.

https://youtu.be/GAmUi7qMDHg

It was Peter's video that made me click 'buy' with confidence :)

I confess the dust out flange of the bandsaw has failed, the flange that grabs the inside of the bottom compartment obviously could not withstand pressure of hose connection to the vacume machine. I have one solution in mind but will sleep on it tonight so that other thoughts might come to mind.
Thinking of making a thin plywood collar with an aperture that fits outlet pipe and then fixing to bandsaw casing with self tapping screws.Or request a new outlet fitting another.

Dust collection imo is and as always been a bone of contention here on the forum with band saws so this one joins the club I suppose.

Mr.Teroo, the 9mm blade supplied by Ian at Tuffsaws was the one (named premium quality) but another named hobby cut equally well, perhaps that lifespan will be less.

That's the trouble with bandsaws the manufacturer make a feeble attempt at extracting dust from the bottom wheel casing and do not take into account the amount of dust off the top of the workpiece because of the blade teeth set, I put this on my bandsaw lower casing: http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-du ... 0mm-502568 and connected a convoluted pipe, took it over the top of the top wheel casing and down the blade guard, then attached it behind the blade guides, works extremely well, at the end of a cutting session I have hardly any dust on the table top, but still need to vacuum out the top wheel housing.

Mike

Slept on the problem re breakage of outlet dust flange to my bandsaw which broke away from the rear casing of machine and will now not hold to the casing.

So I do not want to return the machine (I do not want or need to go down the route of a larger and heavier saw) so I am going to attempt fitting my own modification as per rough sketch below. Any comments or suggestions during the next 24 hours would be pleased to receive.

dust collection4.jpg

Attachments

• dust collection4.jpg
    dust collection4.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 1,731
That is what it's all about. We all know the band saw has faults. But it's a base from which to work on and improve. Most of us have the luxury of not being in the position of having to design for mass production, so can invest time in making, for example an extraction port that works.

My idea for new dust port.

back plate will be cut to lay in place and screwed from inside with 35mm round head wood screws/

solution 1 flange.jpg

End of vacume pipe will be cut off which seems to be holding well in a 30mm drilled aperture.

solution 2w.jpg

Your ideas and comments welcome.

Attachments

• solution 1 flange.jpg
    solution 1 flange.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 1,709
  • solution 2w.jpg
    solution 2w.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 1,710
Just ordered a new blade from Tuff saws. The original one seems ok, But I have never used a band saw before and I wouldn't know if it was blunt or not!

Pleased to report new dust port fitted as per photograph now bolt down saw to the table and then back to boxes.

new dust port w.jpg

Attachments

• new dust port w.jpg
    new dust port w.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 1,626
bourbon":2bgnx5tj said:
Bodgers":2bgnx5tj said:

Equally that's easy to say if you think you have more sense than money. Bodgers doesn't actually advocate buying the next one up, merely that he felt he couldn't work with one with a flawed table.

What we all spend on our respective tools is all relative to our own needs and circumstances, didn't feel Bodgers was being negative about this aspect myself.

Latest posts

Back