Advice on building a carport

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bofh

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of building a car port and I'd like a little advice.

We have a block of garages and mine is second from the end, I'd like to have two wood beams coming off the front of the garages (mine and next doors) then running all the way back to the end of the drive where it will meet two posts.

As they say a picture is worth a thousand words so I had a little dabble in "paint" so don't laugh

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l76/Bofh_uk/carport.jpg

Now I've read that as long as it don't go over 30m square or 10 feet tall I'm ok, don't know if anyone can confirm that or not. My main worry is the span without posts in the middle. I make it roughly 30 feet from the front of the garage back to the supporting posts.

Will this work? Any idea on the size of the beams?

Cheers

Bofh":apayj0gx said:
Now I've read that as long as it don't go over 30m square or 10 feet tall I'm ok, don't know if anyone can confirm that or not.

Not to sure about the above statement as in amongst my deeds for my house are the planning permission conditions for the carport that was built back in the 70's/80's thos is infront of my garage which is along the side of the house but i guess each borough is different!

Just from guesswork, I would say you're looking at one large beam to carry a roof, without intermediate supports, over a 26ft length.

As a point of interest, why can't you fit some?

Regards

John

I can't see how I could fit any other supports as I'd not be able to get under it with the car.

I don't think it is possible to give blanket advice on this one. Local Authorities are much more touchy about building in the fron garden than to the side or rear, and may well have a view on building on the front of a block of garages.

In my view you should approach them informally with your proposal and ask whether this will require permission.......and if it does, what are the chances of success.

As for the span.........well, you won't do it with a bit of 4x2. But there is always a way if you are prepared to spend enough money.

Mike

I can't see how I could fit any other supports as I'd not be able to get under it with the car.

You're talking about the width, not the length?

Half of 26' is 13', which, as far as I know, you could get a London bus through. I'm not sure we're on the same plane here.

plymouth pirate":2mufea8p said:

You're talking about the width, not the length?

Half of 26' is 13', which, as far as I know, you could get a London bus through. I'm not sure we're on the same plane here.

and half of 13 is 6.5 which is still considerably wider than my garage doors !

Latest posts

Back