Advice needed - How this entrance can be thermally insulated?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have poked a bit with a skewer and updated the photo in my post #77 to add a couple of dimensions.

- Bricks of wall (6) appear to go all the way up to the 1st floor.
- if a poke in several places in the gaps where old door used to sit - I can get max 190mm deep. Please see updated photo in post #77
This depth 190mm is 100mm short of the depth in area (14). Not sure what to make of it.
On the wall opposite to wall (6) it is exactly the same, like a mirror.

I really like the idea of gaining a more space and a chance to add more insulation. Thank you for the suggestion @TomGW.
However - I am not sure if removing these bricked parts will not open another can of worms. Is there a chance that they somehow represent some sort of support structure for the rest of the house. How should I check for this without opening the floor above?

Does that exposed brick wall finish at ceiling level, presume it doesn't continue up into the room above, & do any floor joists land on it, (may be some trimming the stair well)
Not sure about floor joists, but the exposed brick wall (6) does continue up to ceiling level and beyond.

Looking at the photos I think you will be removing the skirtings and breaking away the corner beads to re do the plasterboard anyway so you could remove that and get a better view. Would certainly be an improvement if that bottom step was opened up.

Latest posts

Back