a wood thread thread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah yes I get what you mean. So I'm thinking I'll get the thread box set at the correct pitch by testing it on some scrap before hacking into the boxwood.

Thanks for that,
Craig

midnightlunchbox":39h9hffb said:
Ah yes I get what you mean. So I'm thinking I'll get the thread box set at the correct pitch by testing it on some scrap before hacking into the boxwood.

Thanks for that,
Craig

I've not tried box with these thread boxes, but I think it might be challenging given the hardness of box. I would guess soak the box anyway (thinned linseed and allow several days at least as the box will absorb the oils far slower than beech, say). If it works OK it will make excellent screws/nuts of course, but I'd be concerned about the cutter edge holding up - so keep a close eye on the cutter and the shavings coming out, they are a good indication of the cut (or tear :shock: ).

Just come across this thread and really enjoying it

If I may I will share my experiences of creating a metal tap. I wanted to create a tap to cut 2 1/2" dia, 2 TPI thread as utilised on numerous benches as sold be benchcrafted, Richard Maguire et al

The tap would need a big piece of steel so this is how I solved the problem, in addition I do not possess a mill

Initially I cut the steel bar like this

carrying out the procedure on the lathe like this

Once cut the pieces were fitted together like this

And welded

This was then mounted in the lathe via a revolving centre in the tailstock and a four jaw independent in the headstock. A suitable cutter placed in the toolpost and off we go taking numerous shallow cuts (the topslide was angled at 30 degrees so only the leading face of the 60 degree cutter was removing metal)

Finally I ended up with this

And a trial use in some offcuts

As for the thread in the timber again I utilise the lathe with a router mounted in a plate specifically made for the job

Not used it in anger yet but trials in some offcuts are here

katellwood, Brilliant use of available resources. Well thought out, and executed. Bravo. That sort of thinking could lead to some rather large diameter threads.
xy

Thanks for showing us your methods, Katellwood. That's a very ingenious way to make a big tap - and time saving too, I would imagine. I think I need to learn how to weld :)

I haven't tried your way of making external threads but I have done something very similar to make barley twists using a round nosed bit in the router. It worked very well.

Very interesting Katellwood. Yes, the really good ones are the big 'uns!! I read somewhere on a blog that Benchcrafted commissioned a one-off 3 1/2" about 1.75 tpi for something. I suspect that for very short runs your way is the way for the screw, and I imagine a lathe solution for the nut is also desirable (if only making a couple say).
What wood is that, looks a bit mahogany? I'm going back to test lime next as I got some excellent results ages ago on a smaller thread - the idea being that lime is a carver's favourite as it works across grain nicely.
I've not tried lathe methods, partly because my Myford standard gearing won't get anywhere near the pitches but also I've been looking at a solution for runs of screws (half-dozens say). I'm wondering what lathe you are using... looks a biggish lump?

Well I have made progress on my threading. After much research I've made several nuts and bolts of various styles and lengths in boxwood. The box threaded easily, without lubrication or soaking and left nice clean threads. I poured thin CA on them to strengthen the threads. I have made standard nut and bolts, acorn nut, nyloc nut, domed nut and (the one I'm most pleased with) a wing nut.

I can't seem to post photos on my ipad so here is a link to the pictures on FB, hopefully it works.

Craig

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

Latest posts

Back