A truly mobile workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karl

Established Member
Reaction score
A comment by Doc on a thread on the other side prompted me to take some pics of my set-up for going out on site for fitting work.

DSC00176-1.jpg

Starting at the front

DSC00177.jpg

Clamps in the door pockets, and mastik/glue bag in the foot well

DSC00178-1.jpg

on the back seats

DSC00179-1.jpg

Plastic tower which stores the Freud router, SDS and normal drills, together will all those odds n sods which you can never place your hand on when you need them - stretcher plates, wedges, cable ties etc. Also have a Wickes step, a roller stand and a red cantilever box which contains the Mapp gun and associated plumbing bits.

On the other side

DSC00184-1.jpg

Fein extractor. The black and yellow tall box parked behind the front seat contains power planer, jigsaw, multimaster, biscuit jointer, a small hammer drill and all ancillaries such as biscuits, blades etc. You can also see the spirit level bag sat on top.

DSC00185-1.jpg

Sat in between is the compressor and a box with the guns, brads and hose in. There is also a 4' x 2' sheet of ply leaning against the rear seats to form the workbench.

In the boot

DSC00180-1.jpg

DSC00181.jpg

Screw box, bag of Milwaukee cordless, tool bag, Makita radio, CS, DW chopsaw, bag of quality hand tools :roll: and a couple of cheapo folding workbenches.

For those of you thinking "why doesn't the silly person just get a bloody van" :lol: , well two days a week I have to do the school run and need to be able to transport 4 kids. So it's tools out and car seats in!

Need to sort out the workbenches - those cheap plastic ones are a bit naff. Other than that, I think i've got everything pretty well organised, and I rarely go out on site having left something at home (mainly 'cos it's all in the car!).

Cheers

Karl

Karl- I know you are a great fitter, from all the positive comments and pictures you post, and I know kids come first BUT.......

if a prospective fitter turned up in a car I doubt I would use him, just seems unprofessional to me, SORRY :cry:

First impressions and all that.

I did similar in my little old VW polo for a while, but it got a bet silly so I upgraded to a renualt espace. I can get all of my gear, and within reason furniture and/or stock into it on weekdays, and put the seats back in on the weekends 8) :lol:

I also have a LWB transit as well

Doctor":298p7o1b said:
Karl- I know you are a great fitter, from all the positive comments and pictures you post, and I know kids come first BUT.......

if a prospective fitter turned up in a car I doubt I would use him, just seems unprofessional to me, SORRY :cry:

If Karls customers are happy with his work and he gets plenty of referals I doubt they give a toss what he turns up in

Doctor":mt4c0c8t said:

i have to agree

must take an age to load and unload, you could rent a van for the money you'd save on time.

and where does the furniture you need the tools to fit go?

speed":3403u2p1 said:
Doctor":3403u2p1 said:

i have to agree

Fair point guys. And one I am acutely aware of.

Until the little gits are old enought to get the bus, will have to make do with what i've got!

But as Shane has pointed out, I do ok at the moment. So i'm in no rush.

Cheers

Karl

L Harding":3049elzg said:
must take an age to load and unload, you could rent a van for the money you'd save on time.

and where does the furniture you need the tools to fit go?

Actually, it takes about 5 minutes to load/unload. Everything has its place.

The majority of the time, the materials are already on site when I get there. If it is something I am supplying then I either hire a van or, if it is small enough (say replacement kitchen doors), take them round in the Focus without the tools - often the day/night before fitting.

Cheers

Karl

Wow! :shock:

Where do you put all your wood?

I assume you don't have an apprentice with you often? :D

Why not get a suitable trailer ? Car for the family, car tows mobile workshop ? Car looks clean and tidy, trailer looks professional ( and carries advert).

laird":6v90dz8t said:
Why not get a suitable trailer ? Car for the family, car tows mobile workshop ? Car looks clean and tidy, trailer looks professional ( and carries advert).

That sounds like a good idea.

Karl, do you load/unload all this every night? If you don't, and you keep the gear in the car, do you worry about security - or do you park it in a garage?

Being a complete traveller I'd appreciate that the person doing the job was keeping his overheads low by not leasing a van :lol: [/b]

ByronBlack":wnjlnz95 said:
Karl, do you load/unload all this every night? If you don't, and you keep the gear in the car, do you worry about security - or do you park it in a garage?

I unload most of it every night. Leave a few inexpensive items in the boot, under the boot cover.

It only takes 5 mins to unload, and if it all got nicked i'd be stuffed. So I make a point of bringing it in every night.

Cheers

Karl

Karl":1qx5ntaf said:
ByronBlack":1qx5ntaf said:

I unload most of it every night. Leave a few inexpensive items in the boot, under the boot cover.

It only takes 5 mins to unload, and if it all got nicked i'd be stuffed. So I make a point of bringing it in every night.

Cheers

Karl

I think you've done well to fit it all in. I personally wouldn't be bothered by a tradesman who uses his car. (as a prior business owner, I understand the need to keep costs down).

If you do ever get a van, and if you haven't already done so, have a look at Jim Tolpins toolbox book, he has a large section on a van that has been kitted out as giant tool-box, some of the ideas are fantastic.

Back