A pulley with a thread to attach to a lathe spindle...what is it called?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gazzbert

Reaction score
Hi - I'm looking at renovating a bandsaw attachment to my older lathe, but the pulley that connected to the lathe spindle and which was used to power the bandsaw is missing. I suspect finding one available commercially is a bit unlikely, but my efforts at searching have been hampered by not knowing what to search for as I don't know what it is called!

Please, does anyone know what you'd call a pulley with a threaded centre for attaching to a lathe spindle?

Unless you can find an OEM part, I doubt you will find a pulley with a threaded bore to suit the machine, let alone the correct diameter so that the bandsaw is turning at the right speed.

A much cheaper and easier option may be to get a nut of the correct thread and press it into a plywood lamination, thread that onto the lathe with the nut facing out so that it is pulled tighter into the plywood as it's threaded on, and then turn the plywood to suit. Just make sure the plywood is good quality with plenty of plys, MDF would also work.

Unless you can find an OEM part, I doubt you will find a pulley with a threaded bore to suit the machine, let alone the correct diameter so that the bandsaw is turning at the right speed.

A much cheaper and easier option may be to get a nut of the correct thread and press it into a plywood lamination, thread that onto the lathe with the nut facing out so that it is pulled tighter into the plywood as it's threaded on, and then turn the plywood to suit. Just make sure the plywood is good quality with plenty of plys, MDF would also work

Thank you, I like this idea. My fall-back was already to manufacture my own pulley and attach it to a spare screw chuck that I haven't used in a while, but I like your idea better.

There is a guy down Southend way who casts and turns stepped pulleys in aluminium. He advertises on ebay. He will drill them out to the size required. I dare say for an additional fee he could thread the inside if need be

There is a guy down Southend way who casts and turns stepped pulleys in aluminium. He advertises on ebay. He will drill them out to the size required. I dare say for an additional fee he could thread the inside if need be
That's useful to know - you don't happen to know what name he trades under on ebay, do you?

Hi
What make is your lathe? It would help us to know.as someone may have the pulley you need for your bandsaw attachment
Have you tried to screw your chuck onto the spindle as it may not fit as you might need a l/h thread?

If this link works https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/myford-ml8-bandsaw.145492/
And if it is a ML8 you may get some help there

Last edited:
That's useful to know - you don't happen to know what name he trades under on ebay, do you?
Hi there, Yes, the business is R G Wylie & Co Ltd. I have purchased from him in the past without any problem. If they are able to do the threading for you, it is worth bearing in mind where the pulley take off is, on the lathe, Whether it is inboard or outboard, will affect whether the thread is right or left handed

Back