A planing question.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I don't agree with much of the above.

In my workshop we make all edges or surfaces, minutely hollow, by taking stop shavings with a 5 1/2.
(A stop shaving starts and stops within about 1/2 an inch of the end).

After this hollowing, one or two, fine through shavings, make it virtually flat. (I prefer a 1 or 2 thou hollow).

5 or ten subsequent shavings will cause a slight bump to return. The more shavings the bigger the bump. (Do try this please).

I believe this has nothing to do with planing technique, but with the geometry of a bench plane. i.e. a flatish metal surface with a blade peeking through.

A well set machine planer will produce a flat surface. Here the "in" table is dropped by the thickness of cut. Our bench planes do not have this facility!

The technique I describe has been tested by hundreds of individuals here.

best wishes,
David Charlesworth

Corneel":31y5q64a said:
A trick to learn how to pressure the plane during a full length stroke is "tryingto dig a hole in the middle of the board". When you do full length strokes with a long plane, then digging that hole really isn't going to happen, but trying to do that helps you to put pressure on the front of the plane on the start and on the back of the plane at the end.

+1

Cornell's nailed it, that's exactly the image I hold in my mind when planing.

If you look at the results of most newcomers when edge planing it's usually a right old mess. They jump out of the cut at the start so there's often a little ledge, and then they panic towards the end of the cut and speed up, consequently the plane often skews off to one side and, because they're almost "throwing" the plane through the final foot, the back end of the plane gets lifted up.

Following Corneel's technique helps you to slow down and get the action right.

David C":1mvdnntl said:
In my workshop we make all edges or surfaces, minutely hollow, by taking stop shavings with a 5 1/2.

After this hollowing, one or two, fine through shavings, make it virtually flat. (I prefer a 1 or 2 thou hollow).

+1

That's how I was taught, and how I always see full time woodworkers edge plane.

Is there a different method, one that's endorsed by a genuinely proficient and experienced furniture maker?

custard":3s13qxuz said:
David C":3s13qxuz said:

+1

Is there a different method, one that's endorsed by a genuinely proficient and experienced furniture maker?

+1 here too.
That's why I mentioned having a slight crown on the bench.
At first I thought it would be a good idea to have a slight hollow along the length, so timber would sit on the ends and not propeller, but if your wanting to plane lengths of timber the full length of the bench, that hollow means the timber will
have to be crowned in the middle to match the benchtop.

If this is the case... two lengths matched to the benchtop will have a gap at each end.
Bad practice for gluing.
Tom

David C":33g62u33 said:
Well, I don't agree with much of the above.

The posts above have stated just what you said you advocate. Planing a mild hollow and then finishing with a few through shavings. Unless a whole bunch of posts have disappeared, most have advocated some variation of that (whether it is by direction of pressure or actual stop shavings).

How experienced are the individuals you're referring to, by the way? I can't remember re-establishing a hump when taking extra passes (certainly not within 5 or 6), but I'm sure a bunch of beginners would, and I'm sure I did when I was a beginner. I am no pro, either.

There's another dimension (poor choice of words) to this discussion, and that is what condition the board is in when it arrives at the bench. If is dead flat straight off of quality machinery, it's possible to take several passes off of the board with no stop shavings and not threaten flat. I'm not advocating that for edges when you want to at least confirm that the favorable bias is in the edge, and not just count on flat being flat to start with without confirming it, or one will just end up taking pieces out of the vise and putting them back in again to correct errors.

None of this has to be slow and deliberate once someone builds skill, though. It should be an in-the-flow habit.

Ttrees":2zg02cuh said:
custard":2zg02cuh said:
David C":2zg02cuh said:

+1

+1 here too.
That's why I mentioned having a slight crown on the bench.
At first I thought it would be a good idea to have a slight hollow along the length, so timber would sit on the ends and not propeller, but if your wanting to plane lengths of timber the full length of the bench, that hollow means the timber will
have to be crowned in the middle to match the benchtop.

If this is the case... two lengths matched to the benchtop will have a gap at each end.
Bad practice for gluing.
Tom

There will come a time that you'll wish you had made your bench flat if you put a mild crown on it. It is extremely useful to have a bench top flat enough to check the flatness of boards that you are face jointing, and at some point, you will joint the edges of narrow sticking on the bench top, and you won't want them to be influenced by a crown.

D-W,

Some posters may have seen the light, but many talk about faulty technique, variable downward force etc.

As as I am concerned, planes like the 5 1/2 do not possess the correct geometry to create flatness, (just bumps).

Technique produces flatness. (As described above).

Anyone doubting this, please try an edge joint with a pair of boards, and see what happens.

David

custard":35dmanpj said:
David C":35dmanpj said:

+1

Robt. Wearing covers this at some length in The Essential Woodworker, a copy of which the OP could certainly use I think.

David C":3d6vkdb0 said:
D-W,

Some posters may have seen the light, but many talk about faulty technique, variable downward force etc.

As as I am concerned, planes like the 5 1/2 do not possess the correct geometry to create flatness, (just bumps).

Anyone doubting this, please try an edge joint with a pair of boards, and see what happens.

David

David, if you're not aware that beginners tend to clip the edges of boards off beyond a level that is just explained by "plane geometry", then I'm not sure where to go with that.

Others have suggested techniques to correct flatness in a board. You have suggested techniques to correct flatness in a board. Your technique is essentially the same as intentionally planing with more pressure in the middle of a board, it just takes some experience to do that (I don't use that technique, but it was mentioned).

I suggested that someone experienced at planing can continue to work the surface after that (after creating mild concavity) without threatening it. It may end up being closer to dead flat without the concavity, but it should remain flat for a reasonably long time. I'll check tonight. I may not have time, but if I do, perhaps I'll make a video of it (just plain vanilla, and unlisted just to be linked to here). A two foot edge planed hollow and then two through shavings. Then 10 through shavings and we'll see how flat it is. You've suggested that in 5, it will be out of flat again.

I gather that you're sort of leaning toward implying that someone suggested that the plane itself can create a flat board without technique, but I don't see that anywhere. In some cases (concave soles) the plane can certainly prevent flatness.

D_W":xwztjajl said:
How experienced are the individuals you're referring to, by the way? I can't remember re-establishing a hump when taking extra passes (certainly not within 5 or 6), but I'm sure a bunch of beginners would, and I'm sure I did when I was a beginner. I am no pro, either.
I defiantly find even two or three full length passes to introduce the hump again

D_W":xwztjajl said:
There will come a time that you'll wish you had made your bench flat if you put a mild crown on it. It is extremely useful to have a bench top flat enough to check the flatness of boards that you are face jointing, and at some point, you will joint the edges of narrow sticking on the bench top, and you won't want them to be influenced by a crown.

Not yet and I have been planing plenty of different pieces.
My bench is about 11 or 12 foot and there would be only a thou or two of a crown if there is one atall.
If it is a problem, its just a matter of a swipe or two from the board thats shimming the benchtop.
I'm working on long stuff a lot so this is the best circumstance for the next while.

Tom

It might be just

Ttrees":1r12dp05 said:
D_W":1r12dp05 said:
I defiantly find even two or three full length passes to introduce the hump again

D_W":1r12dp05 said:

Not yet and I have been planing plenty of different pieces.
My bench is about 11 or 12 foot and there would be only a thou or two of a crown if there is one atall.
If it is a problem, its just a matter of a swipe or two from the board thats shimming the benchtop.
I'm working on long stuff a lot so this is the best circumstance for the next while.

Tom

It might be just

I couldn't plane a 12 foot bench top into that flatness. I'd imagine it moves that much if you lean on it, or if the humidity changes 5 points. It'll be interesting to see what I can come up with tonight. I have a 4-foot board that's going to become a matched door panel. I'd try for a longer board than that board halved, but I wouldn't be able to get it on video and I think starrett will find a problem in 2 feet if there is one.

What is the preferred plane length to duplicate this experiment. A 7 OK - or is that too long? If a 7 isn't OK, I don't have a mildly set 6 or 5 1/2, but I'm sure I can find an equivalent length panel plane.

David C":z7qabv8x said:
D-W,

David
To what extent do you think the physical characteristics of the wood play a role?

The easiest-to-plane-wood I have yet encountered - Zirbel Pine - almost never suffers the Curse Of The Returning Hump but give me a bit of walnut and I'm more or less expecting it. I wonder if some woods are more forgiving of a less than optimal technique.

As a result of the wealth of good advice posted on this thread, I'm going to slow down a bit and really watch my technique.

Andy Kev.":3ka1uty4 said:
To what extent do you think the physical characteristics of the wood play a role?

The easiest-to-plane-wood I have yet encountered - Zirbel Pine - almost never suffers the Curse Of The Returning Hump but give me a bit of walnut and I'm more or less expecting it. I wonder if some woods are more forgiving of a less than optimal technique.

As a result of the wealth of good advice posted on this thread, I'm going to slow down a bit and really watch my technique.

I'm sure luck with (keeping) flatness is much better with woods that start easy and keep their shaving together.

D_W":1fv7z4hh said:
What is the preferred plane length to duplicate this experiment. A 7 OK - or is that too long? If a 7 isn't OK, I don't have a mildly set 6 or 5 1/2, but I'm sure I can find an equivalent length panel plane.

I have a nice no.8, 51/2, 4, 3 I prefer the 51/2 out of all them.
I have never used a 5,6,or a .
I must measure my bench length.
I am edge jointing old door styles and they don't flex much.
I have to go through the first round of them again as I had them matched to the benchtop when it was slightly concave.
Incidentally I must prove my own theory by jointing some short 4 or 5 foot pieces.

I see what your saying ....
For the best results the 4 or 5 foot long piece would need to be checked/planed in the middle of the bench
and that's not always possible I guess.
I have my stops at the ends of my bench.and not felt there was an issue with it since.
I must report back on this shortly with some confirmation

Tom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Cu3xTD6Uv0

I could plane a flat board into hollow with this method (actually, that's how i got the hollow on this board in the first place on a trip through before this shot - the board is curly cherry and I actually had to set the cap to get a finished edge on it with this plane). I had never thought about it before, but instead of stop shavings, I take the front hand off of the plane to make sure that the plane isn't rounding the edge over. I do know that I consciously do that when an edge is already rounded over and I want to get the middle of the board down to it.

I do know that when I joint a long board and it ends up too hollow like this one did, I always clip the ends with a smoother (just because it's easier than flinging around a jointer or panel plane).

Anyway, the "one true way" kind of nonsense is, well, just nonsense. It's better to experiment and figure out something that feels natural and productive to you. The knowledge will stick with you a lot longer, and in some cases, without much thought about it.

The experiment I described works with endless repeatability, on timber edges from 6 to 22 inches long, when done with a number 5 1/2.

I think that a longish straightedge is helpful for long work such as bench tops.

Best Wishes,
David

D_W":2eo6c9ai said:

I could plane a flat board into hollow with this method (actually, that's how i got the hollow on this board in the first place on a trip through before this shot - the board is curly cherry and I actually had to set the cap to get a finished edge on it with this plane). I had never thought about it before, but instead of stop shavings, I take the front hand off of the plane to make sure that the plane isn't rounding the edge over. I do know that I consciously do that when an edge is already rounded over and I want to get the middle of the board down to it.

I do know that when I joint a long board and it ends up too hollow like this one did, I always clip the ends with a smoother (just because it's easier than flinging around a jointer or panel plane).

Anyway, the "one true way" kind of nonsense is, well, just nonsense. It's better to experiment and figure out something that feels natural and productive to you. The knowledge will stick with you a lot longer, and in some cases, without much thought about it.

Well, the plane is working beautifully which is no surprise given its apparent pedigree. I've gotten a little lost in all the replies to the thread and am curious about what woodworking process your experiment is supposed to be replicating. Under normal circumstances one would work up a little hollow and then make enough passes to take a full shaving or two from end to end and then stop, or if jointing long boards for a panel glue-up create a *slight* hollow and then stop and let the gap be closed up with clamps. I see that you've proved one can maintain a hollow even after many passes but I'm confused about under what circumstances one would ever need, or want, to do this -- keep planing that is.

It would also seem that given a short enough plane, in relation to the length of the edge being planed, the plane would just ride down in the hollow thus very likely preserving it were the goal to continue making passes well after the hollow had been created and the edge was in otherwise great shape, making the exercise less about skill and more about choice of tool.

What's the takeaway?

David C":2l923pr2 said:
The experiment I described works with endless repeatability, on timber edges from 6 to 22 inches long, when done with a number 5 1/2.

I think that a longish straightedge is helpful for long work such as bench tops.

Best Wishes,
David

Your method is no more repeatable than mine. This is useful for anything that you can plane, also. I don't think I'm getting it across here that this is a thing of craftsman's subtlety, and I'm no craftsman at all. There is an 8x8 indian rosewood blank in the background that I flattened. I didn't stop shave it and then through shave it. I flattened it all at once with only through shavings. It's flat end to end and corner to corner and side to side, however you want to describe it. It would be agonizing with stop shavings. It takes less than ten minutes to do with some sense and experience, and that includes the rough work and sharpening.

As far as that straight edge goes - it's not something I use on a daily basis (i had to clean some rust off of it to use it here). It's too heavy, and it's too expensive. On a three foot board, I could find out what I need to know with a 2 foot straight edge, no problem, but for a video like this, I want proof, so I dug out the straight edge, and pulled the feelers out of my planemaker's box. They have never touched wood before.

Let me reiterate - your method works. It doesn't mean that other methods don't. It doesn't mean yours is the best or that you need to continue to imply that other people have some sort of shortcoming with what they're doing when they're getting the same results (my method is actually faster, I started with yours - it's good to understand the minute hollow concept and that allows someone to achieve it pretty quickly, supposing they don't make their edges out of square).

I could make a ten minute video tonight doing the face of a short board and a long one, and the edges, too, and you could tell me if you want them to be flat or concave and I could do it either way. What would you do? I made a video with 10 strokes through where you said 5 would cause a problem, and what is your response - to imply that what I did won't work on small pieces and it's inconsistent? Put yourself on the other side of this - let's say you've never used stop shavings but planed for a decade without having a flatness issue - would you then turn around and say that someone using stop shavings is doing it the wrong way? I wouldn't, but that is what you're doing. The concavity is the important point, how you get there isn't important. thus I have no need to tell people that they should do it my way instead of using stop shavings. They can do it however they want, the only real threat to the OP in the beginning of this post is if his plane is actually concave.

I get such pleasure talking to people like George Wilson because he wouldn't get fixated on technique - he'd tell you something like, "you need to develop the skill to be able to make the board flat or concave or however you want....i don't know...who cares how you do it?". He's fixated on results, and because he spent his life at work and then on the side at night making, he's wonderfully quick making anything to a level that I will never achieve. If I tried to talk about something like this on the phone with him, he'd make a joke to change the subject.

I like to knock the ends off of my board with a smoother when match planing a long joint, it's easy - do I care if someone else does it that way? Why would I? If I figure out something faster and as reliable, then I'll do that.

This doesn't just have to do with me, it has to do with your desire to pop onto the thread and throw shade on everything everyone said (even though most of the comments here pretty much said the same thing as you did, 99% the same, or however you'd like to put it). You may not be able to do something others said they do (despite the fact that their method could be perfectly relevant), so you assert the methods are no good and no good for anyone, and you base your conclusion on a captive audience of beginners (I think your beginners would learn a whole lot about planing if they hand-dimensioned their first half dozen pieces, but I doubt you could get them to pay you to tell them that). You quote a lot directly from Robert Wearing (in fact you have made entire quarter hour video segments of single items from his books), but Robert's ways are not the only good ways, and quite a lot of them are arduous in terms of time if you don't have to revert to them. If they work, and you're satisfied, then keep on with them. If they are too slow, it's time to move on from some of them.

Please be a little bit more considerate to other posters. In this case, you're advocating a paint by number method that works, and I am showing you another method that works. I don't care what people do, but I do know one thing - if you and I had a pile of boards to face, you'd be a quarter of the way through them when I was finished, and the results would be the same. I learned from your videos when I was a beginner, but it has taken me some time to unwind some of the things that are asserted in them that just aren't as certain as you suggest they are.

CStanford":2c09hpj8 said:
D_W":2c09hpj8 said:

Well, the plane is working beautifully which is no surprise given its apparent pedigree. I've gotten a little lost in all the replies to the thread and am curious about what woodworking process your experiment is supposed to be replicating. Under normal circumstances one would work up a little hollow and then make enough passes to take a full shaving or two from end to end and then stop, or if jointing long boards for a panel glue-up create a *slight* hollow and then stop and let the gap be closed up with clamps. I see that you've proved one can maintain a hollow even after many passes but I'm confused about under what circumstances one would ever need, or want, to do this -- keep planing that is.

It would also seem that given a short enough plane, in relation to the length of the edge being planed, the plane would just ride down in the hollow thus very likely preserving it were the goal to continue making passes well after the hollow had been created and the edge was in otherwise great shape, making the exercise less about skill and more about choice of tool.

What's the takeaway?

David stated that 5 through shavings would threaten the board's flatness (I believe the implication was that the ends would be low), so I took 10 to show that wasn't the case. The point of it is the fact that stop shavings aren't the only reliable way to keep the ends of a board from being low, and not even the way to create the hollow (I didn't use stop shavings to create the hollow in this board). I agree with your comment about what one would do (I would never have taken these shavings if joining this to the other half of the panel in the background, it's a waste of time - just proving a point here - it was asserted that the original poster was putting a hump in a board by making through shavings).

Anyway, the results are the same no matter the technique, the issue is that this discussion has gotten into the strange area of implying that because one result is desirable, only one technique gets it and the others mentioned don't.

As for the planes, the first one is a casting kit and ironmonger's parts that someone with some level of knowledge put together (I didn't make it, but it was inexpensive and whoever did understood the important aspects of handle geometry and location - fairly rare for amateurs). The second one is a partial dovetailed kit that I put together. It has some interesting aspects that I figured out in the build (such as quickly hand flattening to within what LN gives as a flatness spec, which means you can also make the plane square to that degree if needed, but that's not a discussion for this thread).

OK, so five+++ through shavings didn't threaten the edge's flatness. The problem is that nobody takes but a couple of through shavings. Whether or not the board could have been planed down to an inch in width and the hollow maintained all the while is moot. It's meaningless. It doesn't matter.

Stopped shavings are sound cabinetmaking technique. After all, we're talking about four-squaring lumber, the purview of prepubescent little boys less than 200 years ago. What's needed at this stage of the work IS mindless repeatability. It's four-squaring. It's low-level work, probably would have gotten your ears boxed if you didn't have it down in a matter of days.

Great job on the plane, though. It's a keeper.

Latest posts

Back