UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That head looks excellent Brian. Very well done - though after all the previous examples of your work that you've posted, we didn't expect anything less, did we chaps?

It looks really great, looking forward to seeing it all finished.

AES

Bloody Hell, Brian ... You're dragging this one out a bit. :-D

That looks amazing.

Brian,
I have been to the local recycling centre and they won't discuss it. They even threatened to charge me if I took anything. There are a couple of large charity shops that I could visit locally.

donwatson":3ahy0pdp said:
That bird looks deadly Brian. Wouldn't want to meet that on a dark night.

Unlikely, they aren't nocturnal. :-D

Brian, that giant red kite is looking superb. I'm sure the centre will be absolutely delighted with it.

As I understood your OP, it's going to be installed on the outside of the building, and I assume that up there in "the world & woolly norf" it will be pretty exposed to some strong weather, even if partly shielded (under the eaves for example). So can we hear a bit more about the finish/es you're using please?

TIA

AES

OK Brian understood about finishes, for some reason I thought it was going outside.

Blimey, let us know what blades you'll be using in your scroll saw to cut stone & shell - LOL. :D

AES

Thinking about it Brian, I guess my "jokey" idea about scroll saw blades maybe not so daft after all? I have some very fine-toothed jewellers blades which work fine in my Excali for sheet metals (inc 3 mm mild steel) so I guess that provided the shell material was flat, they would work OK on shell - perhaps even on softer stone like sand stone if the speed was set dead slow? I dunno.

And of course Dremel do cut off discs in various materials and thicknesses so that may be OK for stone (but no idea how you'd clamp stone - or shell - to the bench for cutting if it was a bit irregular shape to start with).

AES

Brian wrote: Easiest way is to use sand bags to steady irregular rocks on a nice solid bench ... UNQUOTE:

Yeah, obvious when you think about it I suppose, thanks. But it hadn't occurred to me at all - the nearest I'd got to it was thinking about some soft foam or something to take up the uneven shape underneath. Just as well that I'm not planning anything like that!

AES

Claymore":31dpsctn said:
Hi,
I have now finished the Kites head, made from 1 1/2" Beech with a black Corian eye ball and beak sections... the white dot is also white Corian and I drilled a 6mm hole in the eye and made a small 6mm corian dowel and glued it into the eyeball I then sanded and shaped the eye so its flush and then polished the lot with T Cut paste for a mirror finish (looks much better in real life)
The Yellow is actually Bolgers yellow wood dye with a touch of red dye mixed with water and I left the beak/eye parts soaking in it overnight and today stood them in full sunshine for few hours and the colours come out just as I hoped (it will have a waxed finish along with the whole kite when its finished)
Here's a piccy of todays work.
Cheers
Brian
ps forgot to mention the texturing on the head is done with a ball end burr in my Proxxon rotary tool and then went over the lot with the Sand Flee to soften any edges.

Brian,
I see you have made the head from Beech, Is it left natural or stained. I am thinking it looks quite white and was wondering if you had used some sort of paint/stain. I have a project in mind that has some white parts in it and they will need painted I think.

take care
Don W

Latest posts

Back