2016- The Year to reduce the woodpile.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just catching up with all the posts I missed for the last week or so, I see you have been busy and some great looking bowl from the Yew in your little log pile.

Thanks Derek, probably not optimum in form by some folks standards but the recipient is more than happy with the style, not sure I'm perfecting tool control or application of CA though, and that cracked porcelain sound certainly concentrates the body positioning etc. somewhat.

CHJ":1t3ioqx8 said:
Thanks Derek, probably not optimum in form by some folks standards but the recipient is more than happy with the style, not sure I'm perfecting tool control or application of CA though, and that cracked porcelain sound certainly concentrates the body positioning etc. somewhat.

At the end of the day whatever the shape if it is what the person wants then it is correct, I think we look at them a lot different to most non turners. As for the sound of the turning it certainly does require a different turning position even when wrapped in tape or cling film, the latter I learnt from another forum member Pete (bodrighy)

One of those lumps of wood that you wonder if it's worth bothering with because of external shakes, and then when hidden internal splits appear you come close to thinking that it may well have been better in the wood burner pile.

Young Oak 165mm dia.
DSCN5227.JPG
DSCN5226.JPG
DSCN5228.JPG
DSCN5229.JPG

What's the consensus ?
Do you:-
  • 1. Just put it in the firewood pile.
    2. Colour lacquer inside so that splits don't show.
    3. Leave it as is and see if someone is happy with it.

Attachments

• DSCN5227.JPG
    DSCN5227.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 1,015
  • DSCN5226.JPG
    DSCN5226.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 1,015
  • DSCN5228.JPG
    DSCN5228.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 1,015
  • DSCN5229.JPG
    DSCN5229.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 1,015
Leave it as it is - it's a good looking bowl with character and I suspect someone will treasure it - warts and all :)

Absolutely. I think that's lovely. Please don't burn it! :shock:
Just goes to show how we all look at things differently I s'pose. To me the 'faults' add to it.

markslathe":1i65zfg9 said:
I have to say,your work inspires me to do better.
Glad to hear it, I'm no master of turning but enjoy what I do (usually) and I guess the simple stuff I produce looks a bit more achievable where some of the more exotic creations may cause a sense of inferiority for those new to turning struggling with recalcitrant bits of wood.
I found it was just best to accept what I did, still do, to the best of my ability and continue to admire the skill of the better craftsmen and give them due credit.

What I can only describe as Dirty Oak, think I caught it just before it had gone too far on the grey mould stakes as far as appearance is concerned.

If I get any more samples of woodland thinning's of young Oak like this I think I'm going to try slabbing it before attempting storage, this lot has not ridden the drying curve well, shakes and/or discolouration abound.

Oak, 165mm dia.
DSCN5230.JPG
DSCN5231.JPG
DSCN5232.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN5230.JPG
    DSCN5230.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 887
  • DSCN5231.JPG
    DSCN5231.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 887
  • DSCN5232.JPG
    DSCN5232.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 887
I bit more of the Oak, leaning more towards the Brown Oak stage but the 'white' wood is a bit punky.

Oak, 160mm dia.
DSCN5233.JPG
DSCN5234.JPG
DSCN5235.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN5233.JPG
    DSCN5233.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 1,356
  • DSCN5234.JPG
    DSCN5234.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 1,356
  • DSCN5235.JPG
    DSCN5235.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 1,356
not posted much lately, the problem being is catching up every time. I like the simple forms as well as the more arty type of stuff. All of yours are well turned and finished Chas. The one with the shakes in it is great and well executed. the last one well persevered with the punky part and a great contrast between the different colours.
it still takes a great turner to produce a cleanly turned and finished bowl like yours

Dalboy":29ibhkq7 said:
it still takes a great turner to produce a cleanly turned and finished bowl like yours
Thanks Derek, think it's more about knowing how to handle the abrasive on such pieces, years of producing soft wood hollows gets to the conscience eventually.

I think it's the speed of production* that comes with experience that is the most noticeable, not necessarily the quality of finish, whether to Bevel Rub, Trail Scrape, Sheer Scrape, Quickly swap tools or leave it alone because it isn't going to get any better.

* the last one took 35 mins total turning including swapping chucks and finishing from Bark on blank.

I find the thing that speeds things up most on the actual turning process is the ability to start and finish without flow interruptions.

I try and prepare blanks in batches, with mounting holes or methods sorted.
Chuck jaws and mounting components readily to hand and a mental tally of how I intend to use them.

If at all possible give all tools used a quick lick on the sharpening so that they are sharp and good to go before stowing on the rack.

Leave the sharpening options if used for a different tasks back in the configuration needed for quick turn round of gouges.
Likewise top up finishing products, liquid and abrasive on easy reach shelves or racks when the odd few minutes are available.

This might be interesting in a couple of years time.

Not sure of exact species, reported as Thorn, growing in Cotswold stone wall and had to be removed to rebuild wall.

Could be Hawthorn or Blackthorn, although both species growing close to me are not as big in the girth as this and Bark comparison is so far not conclusive.
Dense structure, Heavy but that might just be moisture as ends range from 25-35% centre to outer at the moment.
Thorn1.jpg
Thorn2.jpg

Attachments

• Thorn1.jpg
    Thorn1.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 1,288
  • Thorn2.jpg
    Thorn2.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 1,288
Really love the Yew Bowls Chas, I really need to try and locate some :) I'm drowning in cherry currently :D

CHJ":382wvlh1 said:
This might be interesting in a couple of years time.

Not sure of exact species, reported as Thorn, growing in Cotswold stone wall and had to be removed to rebuild wall.

[/attachment]

That's quite a chunky piece! My bet would be hawthorn (rose family, like apple etc.) based on the bark and the colour of the wood.

Blackthorn tends to be darker and to have a more distinct difference between heartwood and sapwood and its bark is smoother usually. Cheers, W2S

Indeed - looks like hawthorn to me. I find it likes to split but it is nice and dense (and burns beautifully!)

Castanea":3lkmnh7f said:
Indeed - looks like hawthorn to me.

Had a walk out in the field where this came from and there is a copse of Hawthorn in one corner rather than the ubiquitous sloe around here, so that rather seals it.
Thanks Castanea & W2S

I find it likes to split
Sincerely hope not, not often you see such a mature lump as this.

... (and burns beautifully!)
Heathen :shock: :)

Latest posts

Back