12'' diam cedar platter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevenw1963

Established Member
Reaction score
had time to play today

cedar platter with distressed black rim - acrylic gloss lacquer finish over ebony paint
cedar platter a.jpg

cedar platter b.jpg

cedar platter c.jpg

Attachments

• cedar platter a.jpg
    cedar platter a.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 1,138
  • cedar platter b.jpg
    cedar platter b.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 1,138
  • cedar platter c.jpg
    cedar platter c.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 1,138
That Is One awesome Bowl steven Did you Use the black ebonizer from turners retreat ? I certainly like that mate well done
Bill

That is blooming good Steven well done mate you sure have come on in leaps and bounds go to the top of the class that is the best I have seen from all of you who started that day just over a year ago in Gedney I am well proud of you

Bill, yes the black ebony spray paint from turners, waited for it to part dry then spun the lathe and rubbed a cloth against it until the grain showed through then covered it with chestnut acrylic gloss lacquer.

Woody, many thanks, we had the best mentor / teacher & someone who inspires by deeds & words - to you & for you - I give thanks.

I like that very much. My only query: is it a platter or a shallow bowl? The profile picture shows it as quite deep and chunky, which, coupled with the wide rim, does not leave a great deal of room for a significant flat area at the bottom of the platter/bowl.

I am splitting hairs, though. The turning and finishing looks good and I like the way the ebony paint has left some of the grain pattern exposed. I bet it had a wonderful aroma as you were turning!!

stevenw1963":8svhvunn said:
Bill, yes the black ebony spray paint from turners, waited for it to part dry then spun the lathe and rubbed a cloth against it until the grain showed through then covered it with chestnut acrylic gloss lacquer.

Woody, many thanks, we had the best mentor / teacher & someone who inspires by deeds & words - to you & for you - I give thanks.
Yes steven that you are right Altho i didn't attend at gedney all i can say Is i Have gained Inspiration and knowledge from other visits to woodys who has given out his expertise willingly and has made my turning a enjoyable and satisfing hobby
Regards
Bill

Whether it's a platter or a bowl - it don't matter - it is what we each perceive it to be

more importantly - it aint a munter - thank you for the kind comments & glad it is liked.

Latest posts

Back