10" Bandsaw and Hardwoods

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajayre

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello, I need a bandsaw for cutting 25" x 3" x 2" blocks of hardwoods (mahogany, walnut, cherry). Sadly I have a limited budget so I am looking at the Record BS10, which has a nice warranty. Used options on ebay (e.g. Electra) are too far away and I don't have the means to transport large heavy objects anyway.

Does the BS10 have enough grunt to cut hardwood blocks?

One person has told me that 10" bandsaws are "too light to do anything with" and 12" is required.

I am looking for light duty - probably do this three or four times a year at the most. The rest of the time it would be cutting 1/2" or 3/4" wood stock.

Thanks, Andy

i dont have one, the bs10 but it should do it- if it does not, send it back! it is only 3" hardwood after all and the spec says max cut 4". My little inca would eat it up. I dont know whether that is 10 or 12" though. You may have to take it slowly, but if you are only doing this cut 3 or 4 times a year, then speed isnt the primary motivation

There was an oft quoted thread on here where jimi43 used his little burgess 3 wheeled bandsaw to cut deep into boxwood, to produce veneer thickness cuts. That is about the smallest bandsaw available, and yet managed to perform well.

the standard blade will probably be useless, but is easily replaced. I would say that the blade is the most important part- the remainder is just a frame to support it.

Latest posts

Back