Laminate worktop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickm

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I need to replace the "harlequin" worktops in our kitchen, and because the whole room is rather beige, we've been looking for something with a bit of colour, preferably in the blue-green range. And ideally, just solid colour, not imitation granite etc. BUT it doesn't look like anyone makes laminate like this now. Apart from one in the Wickes catalogue, but it's hard to tell from the pictures what it actually looks like and our nearest Wickes is 70+ miles away in Inverness.
Obviously, Corian, the all glass worktops and Formica to order are made in single colour, but they are definitely on the pricey side for a pensioner as we need 9m in total.
I've looked at Duropal, Axiom, Howdens, Buildbase and the sheds but drawn a blank.
Any ideas??

Hi Dick,
You could try Rearo Laminates Ltd,they supply worktops and rolls of laminate,or Worktop Distribution Services,both are down this way but will deliver,or a bit closer to you is International Decorative Surfaces in Dundee.These are the ones that used when I was working.You have a few manufactures in Aberdeenshire.

Peter.

Thanks, guys. I'd been coming round to the view that having a try at making myself using formica sheet might be the best answer. Buying ready made from Formica would be about £700 for what we need, which is probably not that bad, but still a bit scary.
The one that Wickes have is:-
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Gloss-La ... m/p/219654
Embarrassingly, hadn't spotted it's only 28mm; may not be worth a trip to Inverness now :(
Must see if Jacob did a WIP for his worktop
(How shaming - becoming a replica Jacob :D )

dickm":py1k9k6v said:
In which case effe off and find out how to do it yourself.

dickm":3ia0eehi said:
Thanks, guys. I'd been coming round to the view that having a try at making myself using formica sheet might be the best answer. Buying ready made from Formica would be about £700 for what we need, which is probably not that bad, but still a bit scary.
The one that Wickes have is:-
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Gloss-La ... m/p/219654
Embarrassingly, hadn't spotted it's only 28mm; may not be worth a trip to Inverness now :(
Must see if Jacob did a WIP for his worktop

What's wrong with 28mm worktop, as long as you aren't trying to span more the 625mm, say fir a washing machine or dishwasher etc it will be fine. and surely the Formica comes in at 48" wide sheets at around £60.00 each plus vat and delivery, where does £700.00 come from.
Here's a link for all colours with blues and greens or any other colour.
Regards Rodders
http://www.morland-uk.com/shop/shop-fit ... ptions=570

The £700 was for bespoke worktop actually made up by Formica. Not confident about doing my own laminating over 3m lengths, which was why checked the off the shelf route.
Nervous about 28mm for two reasons; the existing wallboard is fitted to 40mm worktop and not keen on replacing that. Also concerned about the holes for sink and hob plus unsupported bits over fridge and dishwasher.

Will have to beg forgiveness from Jacob and pick his brains!

Hi

Many many years ago I built a kitchen from scratch in our first house - the work tops were formica on chipboard and edged with pine.

Worked fine, though the use of contact adhesive made the application of the formica to base a little traumatic - left the formica on the large side and planed it off later.

I'd give it a go again without a second thought

Regards Mick

dickm":20j52k9w said:
The £700 was for bespoke worktop actually made up by Formica. Not confident about doing my own laminating over 3m lengths, which was why checked the off the shelf route.
Nervous about 28mm for two reasons; the existing wallboard is fitted to 40mm worktop and not keen on replacing that. Also concerned about the holes for sink and hob plus unsupported bits over fridge and dishwasher.
You could add edge pieces and/or ribs/stiffeners from 12mm stuff to increase it to 40 where you need to. We doubled up 18mm like that to have 32mm where it mattered
Will have to beg forgiveness from Jacob and pick his brains!
Doug did the work. Basically you spread the glue (with the right spreader) on both surfaces. When touch dry lay laths across and position the laminate on top. Remove centre lath and press down to fix, then proceed from the middle removing laths and pressing down until you reach the edge. Doug had a special roller for this. Then we cramped up all around the edges with as many G clamps we could find (plus packing pieces) to make sure there were no gaps near the visible edge. There were a few minor bumps as the glue still has a bit to shrink but they all went eventually.
Biggest problem is manoeuvring large sheets (12' x 4') covered in glue.

Theres quite a bit online about using a formica like covering on a substrate, I think even dear old Norm used it on a project or two - Youtube is you friend for stuff like this.

If you have the patience... I follow a thread on Garage Journal about a chap called Gregor who has taken on the refurb of a large mid-century house in the US. He built his own kitchen and used formica for the tops - have a browse through page 26 and then onto 27 and you will see how one top started and how it finished despite a cock up. The whole thread is worth a read if you are interested in renovation work and watching somebody with some ocd deal with it.

I think the rollers are called J rollers because of the shape FWIW.

HTH

Laminate roller - this sort of thing:

820909520153lg.jpg

Well, thought it was all sorted yesterday! Local Travis Perkins had a sampler of Axiom worktops, and one, while it was a bit more "imitation" than we really wanted, was about the right colour and price was good. So ordered 3 off 4.1m pieces. Phone call from TP this morning - sorry, that was an old sample and it's discontinued......................
The current Axiom range is much smaller and looks like sh**.

So it's going to have to be some research into Formica, following the leads given. One quick query - the worktop is in effect two Ls, forming a U with the oven in the base of the U. If using Formica, would it be better to make up sections and pretend they are normal laminate, so use the worktop jig for the joints. Or something else??

Latest posts

Back