Sorby Pro Edge DVD

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lincsflier

Established Member
Reaction score
Just a quickie. Is the DVD worth shelling out for? Only just bought the system yesterday can't wait to try it out.

Doubt it, it's pretty straight forwards.

Try it and see and if there's anything you're not sure about come back and ask here, there are a good few experienced users around ?

Cheers, Paul

i didnt know that there was a dvd. the youtube videos are quite handy to watch, but the system is pretty easy. like Oaul says, if you get stuck, come back and ask.

+1 on the You Tube videos BY Robert Sorby themselves. They really tell you all you need to know in a succinct, clear way.

I'd be interested to know what extra content the DVD shows beyond the You Tube ones.

Beware there quite a few other videos by others that are a complete waste of time. Well I suppose some people need to be told how to take a tool out of a box, but I would hope anyone here was above that sort of nonsense.

Never quite understood this unboxing nonsense that you get on You Tube either. It lasts around two hours so there is a fair bit on it I presume.

I love my Pro Edge but the one thing nobody explains is how you sharpen a curved scraper or skew when the handle keeps hilting the on/off switch box before the end of the curve.

Grahamshed":1r89ba8c said:
I love my Pro Edge but the one thing nobody explains is how you sharpen a curved scraper or skew when the handle keeps hilting the on/off switch box before the end of the curve.
This comes up from time to time, remove the handle. If you can't remove the handle without damaging it then turn a new handle that can be removed? Folks also mention some bowl gouges are tricky to sharpen for the same reason so I'd suggest a collet handle may be the answer.

Detail gouges with a bevel of less than 35 degrees fall into the switch housing bashing camp too. This is a pity because many people want their detail gouge (at least that's the request from my turning club) to be ground at 30 degrees. The workaround is to raise the height of the platform rest until you either go off the top of the platen or it works by the handle stopping fouling.

I've had some dialogue with Sorby on this and though they've not actually promised anything my sense was they were keen to fix it in some way.....could that mean ProEdge II I wonder. Or maybe a mod (jig) that attaches to the platform to allow the heightening that my bit of ply does today. The handle fouling thing also can happen with skews, particularly if you want a slightly radiused edge like what Mr Raffan uses.

Another little foible of the Pro Edge is that part of the gouge jig ends up getting ground away. Apart from mine I've noticed it on three other jigs, one only a couple of weeks old so I know it's not just me! I do realise though that it's not actually a Sorby designed (or made) jig but a Tormek part.

I'm wondering if there's some super secret technique that only appears on the Sorby DVD?! :wink: :lol:

One thing I've learned about Sorby, particularly when juxtaposed against Tormek is they're a bit on the shy side! Tormek, over the years have come out with page after page of useful technical data that helps with setups, shows bevel angles, protrusion settings, recipes for Ellsworth grinds etc etc ad nauseum. They've invested a lot of time and effort producing consumer friendly setup related information. Sorby seem hard pushed to document any grind which doesn't conform exactly to their factory settings for the 2 they publish which is the "standard" grind ie a roughing gouge at 45 and the "fingernail" grind which is a vanilla deep fluted bowl gouge grind with the wings swept back.

They also sell the longer boss to allow their approximation of the Ellsworth and the Pro-set which is just a simple means of quick setting various protrusion settings of a gouge beyond the stop collar in the elliptical grinding jig (which ironically is actually made by Tormek and licenced to Sorby).

What they seem very keen on not letting out the bag is any information about knuckle setting or collar positioning information and how they affect the grind, bevel and wings. It's always struck me as rather odd given turners are an eclectic bunch that like to experiment with all manner of grinds. Publishing more information about the 3 basic variables in the elliptical grinding jig settings would really help.

When Jeff Farris moved from Tormek to Sorby I thought there would be a flood of new technical "help" published because he drove all that for Tormek in the US. He's also a passionate wood turner himself and he must be frustrated by their rather closed "chestedness" (if indeed that's a word). Maybe he's just been busy on the road selling it into the USA, maybe they're not listening to him, who knows. But come on Sorby.....everyone is calling out for additional technical data and/or video footage on tips and tricks for using your tools. Workarounds for existing known problems etc

Published Tormek data is indeed very good, the illustrations in particular are very nicely done.
The gouge grinding jig on the Sorby does indeed deserve a good explanation, with examples, of what all the variables will achieve.
It would cost a few quid to do it though so I guess they don't want to spend the money on it. Some Sorby "publications" are pretty dire I have to say.

Interesting to hear. I'm glad I didn't bother buying it, it's something they really ought to give away free with the machine.

Random Orbital Bob":tkftx9mv said:
What they seem very keen on not letting out the bag is any information about knuckle setting or collar positioning information and how they affect the grind, bevel and wings. It's always struck me as rather odd given turners are an eclectic bunch that like to experiment with all manner of grinds. Publishing more information about the 3 basic variables in the elliptical grinding jig settings would really help.

The Sorby forum mentioned earlier in the thread does have some info regarding the various settings, and Jeff Farris tells you what you need to know before experimenting. He also points out that the fingernail jig is from Tormek, but the knuckle is not expected to be altered when used with the ProEdge - and the embossed numbers are meaningless. The detailed info that Tormek give out is very useful but does not necessarily apply to the ProEdge as the geometry is different (fixed, flat - not round, varying diameter!)

Duncan

Duncan A":v9wvy5ut said:
the knuckle is not expected to be altered when used with the ProEdge - and the embossed numbers are meaningless.
I wonder why anyone would say that ?
Moving the knuckle changes the geometry of the grind. As Random Orbit Bob says earlier in the thread "...turners are an eclectic bunch that like to experiment with all manner of grinds..."

Whilst the numbers on the knuckle aren't measurements, they're not 'meaningless' as they allow the knuckle to be reset to repeatable settings for different grinds.

Back