Sorby Pro Edge DVD

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rhossydd":2rx1rage said:
I wonder why anyone would say that ?
Moving the knuckle changes the geometry of the grind. As Random Orbit Bob says earlier in the thread "...turners are an eclectic bunch that like to experiment with all manner of grinds..."

Whilst the numbers on the knuckle aren't measurements, they're not 'meaningless' as they allow the knuckle to be reset to repeatable settings for different grinds.

Agreed. Anyone know what the "standard" position is? I've bound to have moved mine at some point so it would be nice to know where to reset it to!

3, as taken out of the wrapping;
spe.jpg

Attachments

• spe.jpg
    spe.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 39
This is from the Tormek guide.

793caca1b59d9ac67674e16b782736a2_zps700ptd3l.jpg

JS= jig setting (angle)
P = projection
Hole= mounting position

Rhossydd":2bx72fzu said:
Interesting to hear. I'm glad I didn't bother buying it, it's something they really ought to give away free with the machine.

I rang Sorby and they sent a DVD in the post FOC. But as stated most was already on YouTube.

As for the switch being in to 'wrong' place, it wouldn't be a major redesign to place it at the left hand side instead of on top, cos it's certainly not the perfect location. I also find the switch hard to turn on and off, the plastic dust cover impedes the rocker switch movement. A standard red/green machine switch would have been far better.

I've used most of the normal sharpening systems including the wet slow grinders, and find the Sorby the best for me and my worshop space, primarily for all my turning tools. Can't see me changing away from it.

Phil

Last time I was in John Davis Woodturning in Stockbridge we were messing around with steb centres in his workshop and I noticed he had a pro-edge on its back so to speak so the platen was inaccessible under the belt assembly.

He said he uses it like that freehand because it overcomes the fouling caused by the switch housing. I just thought fair enough but why not stick a belt sander upside down in a vice if you're going to do that?

Sheptonphil":1zajr1lj said:
I also find the switch hard to turn on and off, the plastic dust cover impedes the rocker switch movement. A standard red/green machine switch would have been far better.
My impression too. Once it's out of warranty I'll remove the switch and replace it with a standard NVR at the end of motor.

Rhossydd":1puhvgma said:
Sheptonphil":1puhvgma said:
I also find the switch hard to turn on and off, the plastic dust cover impedes the rocker switch movement. A standard red/green machine switch would have been far better.
My impression too. Once it's out of warranty I'll remove the switch and replace it with a standard NVR at the end of motor.

Move the standard switch by all means but replace it with a NVR?! :shock: No way given the number of threads I've read recently about dodgy NVR switches.

Once the NVR switch on my belt sander finally refuses to work I'm going to replace it with a toggle switch if I can, far less to go wrong.

woodpig":45vbhr2t said:
No way given the number of threads I've read recently about dodgy NVR switches.
You never read of the vast majority that just keep on working.

Rhossydd":2rvj84y7 said:
woodpig":2rvj84y7 said:
No way given the number of threads I've read recently about dodgy NVR switches.
You never read of the vast majority that just keep on working.

But why replace a simple switch with something more complicated and several times the price? Sorby obviously don't feel the need for anything other than a simple switch.

woodpig":rbdp0v9j said:
But why replace a simple switch with something more complicated and several times the price?
Those nice big buttons are easier to hit and, for me, NVRs make a lot of sense in my workshop with the way I have to work. No cost to me as I have one sitting on the shelf already.
Sorby obviously don't feel the need for anything other than a simple switch.
An NVR would add to their costs, add warranty issues and isn't a legal necessity, so it makes no sense for their product.

Rhossydd":168z1t2g said:
An NVR would add to their costs, add warranty issues and isn't a legal necessity, so it makes no sense for their product.
Is a good enough reason for me to leave well enough alone and just move the switch.

Grahamshed":168z1t2g said:
Not being mechanically minded...... would moving and changing the switch be difficult ?

It shouldn't be but it depends where you want to put the switch and how long the wires are. I had a smashed switch housing (after a house move) on my milling machine so I just fitted it into a new box I bought from Rapid.

Of course it doesn't need to be fixed to the machine, the start/stop/speed control on my Lathe is on a fly lead with a magnet on the back so you can put it anywhere you like on the Lathe. You would likely need to extend/replace some wiring if you went for this approach though. I think I'd just mount it above the capacitor on a new bracket if required.

Back