first bandsaw box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sherman1973

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi this is my first post on the forum. It looks like a treasure trove of information, I'm looking forward to learning, and in time sharing, what I've learned.

My main hobby is knife making.This led me to buying a band saw for my knife Scales (handles) I went for a Record Power BS 300E which is way more of a machine than I needed really for roughing out knife scales. So to justify the purchase I thought I had better make something else with it :D So I thought what better than a bandsaw box for small first project.

It is made from American Cherry with a True oil finish and flocked inside I would appreciate any thoughts, and constructive comments :wink:

Attachments

• IMG_3406.jpg
    IMG_3406.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 1,450
  • IMG_3414.jpg
    IMG_3414.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 1,450
  • IMG_3402.jpg
    IMG_3402.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 1,450
  • IMG_3413.jpg
    IMG_3413.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 1,450
  • IMG_3399.jpg
    IMG_3399.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 1,450
  • IMG_3412.jpg
    IMG_3412.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 1,450
That looks a very nicely made box.

Firstly, welcome to the forum - they're a friendly and very helpful bunch.

I'm not skilled in this department, but I can say I like it.

Do show us some of your knives, as well.

Cheers

Greg

gregmcateer":xp4eo1p5 said:
That looks a very nicely made box.

Firstly, welcome to the forum - they're a friendly and very helpful bunch.

I'm not skilled in this department, but I can say I like it.

Do show us some of your knives, as well.

Cheers

Greg

Thanks for the welcome, and kind comments on my box. :D
your probably more skilled than me lol

I learnt a lot from this box, I look at mistakes as a good thing, thats how you learn and improve. For instance I won’t try to take a slice off the top and bottom; off a oval shaped box again. very dangerous with the band saw. I now know, it is best to take them off before cutting the shape out, and simply tape it back together.

I’ve attached a few pics of my latest bushcraft knife
Scandi Grind
4mm 01 tool steel
Stainless pins and lanyard hole
Blade length 120mm
Handle 120mm (at longest point )
Rippled Ash scales
Boiled linseed oil finish

Attachments

• uk workshop 5.jpg
    uk workshop 5.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 1,399
  • uk workshop knife 4.jpg
    uk workshop knife 4.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 1,399
  • uk workshop knife 2.jpg
    uk workshop knife 2.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 1,399
  • uk workshop knife 5.jpg
    uk workshop knife 5.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 1,399
  • uk workshop knife 3.jpg
    uk workshop knife 3.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 1,399
  • uk workshop knife1.jpg
    uk workshop knife1.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 1,399
Water-Mark":1nl0jahg said:
Nice knife.

That looks like a very neat grind, how do you grind them ?

I just you a basic Clarke Grinder/Belt sander, that is meant for wood working. I use ceramic belts, and a home made jig for the bevel angles. I see a lot of people say they are underpowered and to get a proper knife makers belt grinder...but this honestly does the job and only £70 compared with £300- £1500 you just have to make it work for you. learn its limitations and think of ways round things..... and a lot of practice :)

I also used it to sand my Bandsaw box

Attachments

• uk workshop1.jpg
    uk workshop1.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 1,342
  • uk workshop 4.jpg
    uk workshop 4.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 1,342
  • uk workshop 3.jpg
    uk workshop 3.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 1,342
  • uk workshop 2.jpg
    uk workshop 2.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 1,342
Hi Sherman, welcome to the Forum.

Thats a very nice box and the Tru-Oil is a great finish. I have only recently started using Tru-Oil and found it to be really good, particularly if a more shiny finish was needed. Before that I was using several coats of Shelac and Wax.

Your knife making is excellent, but if you get going with more boxes, there is no end to the designs you can use. Making sure you have your bandsaw well tuned up and with a good blade, preferably one from Tuffsaw, which are superb.

In respect of tuning the bandsaw, I found the following helpful:-

THE BEST FROM A BANDSAW 'Alex Snodgrass of Carter Industries has an excellent video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGbZqWac0jU on a tune up method that works well, but if you want to get the best use of your bandsaw on an ongoing basis, then the Steve Maskery DVD's will show you far more and they are a real investment. http://www.workshopessentials.com/shop/ '.

A Flutter test Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8zZuDosSy0

All the best

Alex

Alexam":y7dyxeds said:
Hi Sherman, welcome to the Forum.

Thats a very nice box and the Tru-Oil is a great finish. I have only recently started using Tru-Oil and found it to be really good, particularly if a more shiny finish was needed. Before that I was using several coats of Shelac and Wax.

Your knife making is excellent, but if you get going with more boxes, there is no end to the designs you can use. Making sure you have your bandsaw well tuned up and with a good blade, preferably one from Tuffsaw, which are superb.

In respect of tuning the bandsaw, I found the following helpful:-

THE BEST FROM A BANDSAW 'Alex Snodgrass of Carter Industries has an excellent video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGbZqWac0jU on a tune up method that works well, but if you want to get the best use of your bandsaw on an ongoing basis, then the Steve Maskery DVD's will show you far more and they are a real investment. http://www.workshopessentials.com/shop/ '.

A Flutter test Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8zZuDosSy0

All the best

Alex

Thanks Alex :D
I have seen your Bandsaw boxes while I've been lurking on the forum; so I take that as a real compliment :D it was also you that gave me the idea of using Tru-oil :wink:

Appreciate the links. I had seen the Alex Snodgrass one, but not the flutter test. I have asked the other half for the steve Maskery DVD for christmas

thanks again

Always fancied a go at knife making, it's somewhere on a very long list of projects to try.

That jig looks handy, do you buy the blanks ready cut and are they pre hardened?

Water-Mark":24egndr6 said:
Always fancied a go at knife making, it's somewhere on a very long list of projects to try.

That jig looks handy, do you buy the blanks ready cut and are they pre hardened?

I order ground flat stock. In this case it is 4mm x 40mm x 500 then I use a Sharpie to basically colour in the stock, so then I can scribe my pattern. Hacksaw off as much of the excess as I can then take it to the grinder and shape to my scribe line.

01 doesn't come pre hardened. You have to have it heat treated, or send it away to be done. If to was heat treated before, you wouldn't be able to drill holes for scales (handles) as the drill wouldn't touch it and it would be much harder to grind and a file wouldn't even touch it.

Knife making and wood work is hard to do in same workshop and don't really go together. grinding and drilling steel is just so dirty, so much so that I'm thinking of either having a break form knife making or getting a second workshop for it.

looks like a lot of hard work!, Though you are turning out very professional looking knives

Good to see what can be achieved with fairly modest equipment.

Thanks for sharing.

Lovely band saw box..especially for your first project.

If you fancy a go at something a bit more adventurous, look at the Chicargo bandsaw box.

Re. Knife making...can you buy the blades ready made with the holes drilled etc....then you just have to make the handles?
Cheers Kev

Back