A good marriage.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stimpi

Established Member
Reaction score
Easter Holidays, nagging wife stating how untidy the workshop is, (and this is an understatement) I decided to go into the shed, put on the radio, listen to the final listing of the voted top classical pieces for 2014, and tidy up. A few cups of tea, maybe a couple of cans from the fridge, bliss.

In a small workshop everything must have its place and very few items were in their place. There were off cuts on the floor as well as ripping’s, all covered with saw dust. So the first job was a clear out and with the tip closed for Easter, a burn out as well.

Not every item has its place for example my router table bought from Aldi, my bench saw and my router lift I made last year. The annoying thing about these particular items is, they are always in the way when not in use and have to be shifted around when tidying up. The bench saw went into the garage but after a drink of Tetley’s (not sure if it was tea or ale) I could kill three birds with one stone.

Combine the router lift with the Aldi router table and fit it into one of my cupboard worktops. A good marriage?

The cupboard selected.
1.+The+bench.jpg

The Aldi router table.
6.+The+%25C2%25A340.00+table+fron+Aldi.jpg

The homemade router lift.
The+Router+table.JPG

Fixed the router lift to the underneath the cupboard top
Made sure it was as close to the front of the cupboard and give access to the adjustment screw.

2.+Router+lift+fixed+to+underneath.jpg

Put a ¼” drill into the router.

20140421_150446.jpg

Pushed up the router lift to provide the centre of the Aldi top with the router running.

4.+Drilled+up+.jpg

Placed and cantered the top plate of the Aldi top and marked its position, including center lines.

7.+Stripped+down+to+just+the+top+plate.jpg

Screwed guide battens to the top for routering out the plate. You may recall earlier in the year I bought an Aldi router for £15.00, was about £40.00 but not selling and I gave it a test. Well since that test this router has held my ½” bit in its chuck to which I attempted to use. Well I can tell you it was definitely not up to the task. The cupboard top is 1” thick dense MDF. I took it down in ¼” bites but the vibrations in the machine were too much to carry on so I quickly changed over to my Bosch which went smoothly.

9.+Set+guides+to+rout+out+the+centre.jpg

Cross trees were fitted so I could try the top plate in position which was a good fit.

14.+In+position+to+try+top+for+fit.jpg

10.+The+router+I+ended+up+using.jpg

The resultant hole

11.+The+resultant+hole.jpg

Plate tried for fit

15.+Fit+like+a+glove.jpg

The top plate has an edge flange of 1 ¼” depth, my top is 1” thick so a ¼” notch had to be made to make the top sit flush.

16.+Knotch+to+make+top+flush.jpg

The MDF cut out still had the router lift attached so this was positioned into the hole wedged central, marking the cross trees for position.
18.+Old+cut+out+wedged+central+to+mark+for+lift+position.jpg

The router lift removed and repositioned on the cross trees checking for square and position.

20140422_140617.jpg

Well that was the plan. Could I get it to center? No I couldn’t. Three attempts made before I got it to an acceptable center taking all afternoon to do a 15 minute job. Not sure what I was doing wrong but after the second attempt had a rest, a mug of tea and then third time

20140422_154915.jpg

I took the emergency button apart as the cable was ridiculously too short, so I photographed the wiring for reference and fitted a new cable re-fixing in an accessible position on the cupboard.

20140422_163322.jpg

All set to try out to what I think is a successful union.
20140422_180113.jpg

Just look at the rubbish on that other bench! Well its back to a tidy up.

Stimpi, it seems to me you have now restricted the length of timbers you are able to route or was that part of the plan?

Andy

I did not have much option as the distance between the edge of the bench is defined by the nearest I can get the turn button on the lifting mechanism and the back face of the top rail of the cupboard. The longest length of timber is 4' 0". What I have not shown is the new system cleared away which is the aim of the exercise, If I want to rout a length longer than 4' 0" I can take the old home made table out of store in the garage and put it back when finished. It used to be a real bind moving the Aldi table and the home made table sbout the work area. It seemed that wherever I put them they were in the way. Hope that explains it, Mike

Latest posts

Back