How do you go about sanding floorboards?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LFS19

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm wanting to sand the floorboards in one of our bedrooms.
I'm concerned, though, about the amount of dust that's going to create.

I've started and been involved in a few discussions here about the dangers of fine dust, and it's obviously something you want to absolutely be protected from and minimise.

Something like sanding a fairly large bedroom's worth of wood is somewhat daunting for this reason, and I was wondering what the best way would be to go about it.

I have a p3 filter mask, but what I'm worried about is afterward.
I'm concerned about the level of fine invisible dust that will be left behind that is too fine to settle, lingering there indefinitely as we all breath it in.

What is the correct procedure here? Obviously I can open all the windows but I'm concerned that won't be enough, and I don't have an extractor at the moment..

Thanks very much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LFS19":2oem3d98 said:

I've started and been involved in a few discussions here about the dangers of fine dust, and it's obviously something you want to absolutely be protected from and minimise.

Something like sanding a fairly large bedroom's worth of wood is somewhat daunting for this reason, and I was wondering what the best way would be to go about it.

I'm concerned about the level of fine invisible dust that will be left behind that is too fine to settle, lingering there indefinitely as we all breath it in.

What is the correct procedure here? Obviously I can open all the windows but I'm concerned that won't be enough, and I don't have an extractor at the moment..

Thanks very much.

Apparently there are some "dustless" floor sanders out there, a bit like Mirka, Festool etc, but much bigger. Incredibly expensive to buy and I'm not sure if anyone rents them out. I have heard of one company who will do dustless floor sanding locally but don't know the details or cost.

If you've got the time and cash I would recommend hiring something like a Mirka with Extractor. This prevents the finer dust getting into the air in the first place and you may not need to wear a mask. If you can't afford this then open all the windows, tape plastic sheeting over the internal doors, or at least tape the gaps. Finally vacuum everything very carefully. If you haven't got a vacuum that will remove the fine dust and not re-circulate it, I might think again.

Looking at the other post current, would scraping/planing be a better option?

RossJarvis":1rqeixva said:
LFS19":1rqeixva said:

Thanks very much.

Apparently there are some "dustless" floor sanders out there, a bit like Mirka, Festool etc, but much bigger. Incredibly expensive to buy and I'm not sure if anyone rents them out. I have heard of one company who will do dustless floor sanding locally but don't know the details or cost.

If you've got the time and cash I would recommend hiring something like a Mirka with Extractor. This prevents the finer dust getting into the air in the first place and you may not need to wear a mask. If you can't afford this then open all the windows, tape plastic sheeting over the internal doors, or at least tape the gaps. Finally vacuum everything very carefully. If you haven't got a vacuum that will remove the fine dust and not re-circulate it, I might think again.

Looking at the other post current, would scraping/planing be a better option?

Interesting; I didn't realise such a machine existed.
And yes, one that prevented the finer dust would be great, I'll have to look and see if any one in the area rents them out.

I don't have a vacuums that removes fine dust either, unfortunately.

And I did wonder about scraping or planing. I don't really know how you'd go about it for floorboards. I don't have a thicknesses or anything so I'd be doing it all by hand.
I'll have a look online.

Thanks for the post.

If you are concerned about the dust you could also look into hiring a portable industrial rated 14"+ extractor fan.
Which could be directed to extract the airborne dust out of an open window while sanding.

From my recent experience the so-called dustless Bona machines (even with the optional matching extractor) are a long way from actually being dustless - although a lot better than the worst sort of drum sander with token collection.

I think everyone's getting a little OTT about occasional exposure to dust. Now, where did I put my oxygen again?

If you seal the room so you dont get transfer to other rooms then you can sand and vacuum after.

Any residual dust wont stay permanently airborne, just vacuum after the job, then lave for a day or then vacuum again.

I cant see any possible health issues with that, provided you have the correct mask fitted correctly.

Last one I did I used a cheap electric hand plane set at .25mm then fudled with a bit so it took about 0.15mm off. Dust wasn't really an issue. The sparks from the nail heads on the other hand :). Pin punch them all down first.

Oj and had it hooked to the 20 shop vac so didnt get to much in the way of mess, had to empty it a few times though.

As the author of the 'other post' - floor-planing-t101747.html - I wouldn't recommend planing as a practical option, unless your room is very small and you are very fit. I was only taking bumps out to make the floor level enough to put carpet over; as a way to get a show surface I don't think it would be practical at all.

Personally, I think floor sanding is a job where it's worth paying a professional with the proper kit.

The room was 4x3m and it took me a day. The finish was acceptable for me. I guess I was also mid twenties and cycling hundreds if miles a week so fitness wasnt an issue. Seem to remember I finished it with briwax that got put on with wirewool. You could have claimed a rustic look I guess but thats what I was going for.

Not for everyone though I guess.
Eidt to add, no way would I do it qith a normal handplane. Your a hard man fella. Lpl

Roughcut":35v9mymd said:
If you are concerned about the dust you could also look into hiring a portable industrial rated 14"+ extractor fan.
Which could be directed to extract the airborne dust out of an open window while sanding.

Yes that'd be a good idea. Thanks

Jake":128tpyfm said:
From my recent experience the so-called dustless Bona machines (even with the optional matching extractor) are a long way from actually being dustless - although a lot better than the worst sort of drum sander with token collection.

I think everyone's getting a little OTT about occasional exposure to dust. Now, where did I put my oxygen again?

Haha, yes, I have to say after reading all the COPD horror stories it worries me immensely :)

Thanks

RobinBHM":2n2v87wv said:
If you seal the room so you dont get transfer to other rooms then you can sand and vacuum after.

Any residual dust wont stay permanently airborne, just vacuum after the job, then lave for a day or then vacuum again.

I cant see any possible health issues with that, provided you have the correct mask fitted correctly.

I see, that's good to know then.
I'll just have to take precautions.

Thanks

novocaine":a617zw5u said:
Last one I did I used a cheap electric hand plane set at .25mm then fudled with a bit so it took about 0.15mm off. Dust wasn't really an issue. The sparks from the nail heads on the other hand :). Pin punch them all down first.

Oj and had it hooked to the 20 shop vac so didnt get to much in the way of mess, had to empty it a few times though.

Well I do own an electric plainer so maybe that's a possibility.
Thanks!

AndyT":32wm5h6b said:
As the author of the 'other post' - floor-planing-t101747.html - I wouldn't recommend planing as a practical option, unless your room is very small and you are very fit. I was only taking bumps out to make the floor level enough to put carpet over; as a way to get a show surface I don't think it would be practical at all.

Personally, I think floor sanding is a job where it's worth paying a professional with the proper kit.

Entertaining post. :)

No, certainly wouldn't be something I'd enjoy doing, haha.
And I am actually looking for a finished surface, so it wouldn't really work.

Thanks

novocaine":3rwg28e4 said:
The room was 4x3m and it took me a day. The finish was acceptable for me. I guess I was also mid twenties and cycling hundreds if miles a week so fitness wasnt an issue. Seem to remember I finished it with briwax that got put on with wirewool. You could have claimed a rustic look I guess but thats what I was going for.

Not for everyone though I guess.
Eidt to add, no way would I do it qith a normal handplane. Your a hard man fella. Lpl

Glad it went well for you.
Not sure I'd consider myself proficient enough with the electric plane to do it, however. I could see myself messing it up somehow!

To be honest, maybe it'd actually be better to buy new boards. A section of the floor is actually hardboard; The previous owners must've had Wood rot or something, so I'd need to be replacing a few boards in any case. The stain on the boards currently is a particularly hideous black stain, so God knows how difficult it'll be to get it all off! :)

Back in the 1950s, when my parents first had a house of their own, it was perfectly normal to have a square of lino in the middle of a room, with a foot or so of bare boards round the edge. You would stain the boards a dark, blackish colour with a tin of special wood stain, from the local hardware shop.

I believe it was quite long lasting stuff!

LFS19":3inm0eoo said:
To be honest, maybe it'd actually be better to buy new boards. A section of the floor is actually hardboard; The previous owners must've had Wood rot or something, so I'd need to be replacing a few boards in any case. The stain on the boards currently is a particularly hideous black stain, so God knows how difficult it'll be to get it all off! :)

A few years back SWMBO wanted the floor sanded, once I'd rented the sander, replaced a couple of boards, done the sanding and oiled the boards, I found I could have spent about the same money and bought new oak floorboards!!!

AndyT":3gl3ohxa said:
Back in the 1950s, when my parents first had a house of their own, it was perfectly normal to have a square of lino in the middle of a room, with a foot or so of bare boards round the edge. You would stain the boards a dark, blackish colour with a tin of special wood stain, from the local hardware shop.

I believe it was quite long lasting stuff!

Sounds like that's what I'm having the misfortune encountering!
Going to be a pipper to sand if I do go that route..

RossJarvis":1y3bmmr1 said:
LFS19":1y3bmmr1 said:

A few years back SWMBO wanted the floor sanded, once I'd rented the sander, replaced a couple of boards, done the sanding and oiled the boards, I found I could have spent about the same money and bought new oak floorboards!!!

Yes, perhaps that will be the same case with me...
I'd say nearly half of the room is hardboard. It's a big room so there's a lot of real wood too, but I'd be replacing quite a bit.

Then there's the issue of the new boards being the same height as the older ones and all the adjustments I'll have to make there..

Latest posts

Back