How do you go about sanding floorboards?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In some of our rooms we decided to do away with carpet and put down oak faced engineered flooring. It's available in different thicknesses, so you should be able to select a combination which equals the depth of the old softwood boards. As a sub floor, 9mm ply is enough, well screwed down, followed by underlay and the hardwood floor laid floating.

If you do this, buy all the plywood at the same place - I found there was a lot of variation in thickness for the same nominal size. You'll need to remove and refit skirtings, unless you don't mind a planted on bead to cover the expansion gap.

Or indeed, there's some good solid hardwood flooring around.

If you do replace the floor, you may be able to sell your old boards. Old 'characterful' wood seems to still be fashionable in shops and cafes, but as you are finding, one house room won't yield enough, once you discard what has been ruined by old plumbing and electrical work etc.

AndyT":2tnrm5gl said:
In some of our rooms we decided to do away with carpet and put down oak faced engineered flooring. It's available in different thicknesses, so you should be able to select a combination which equals the depth of the old softwood boards. As a sub floor, 9mm ply is enough, well screwed down, followed by underlay and the hardwood floor laid floating.

If you do this, buy all the plywood at the same place - I found there was a lot of variation in thickness for the same nominal size. You'll need to remove and refit skirtings, unless you don't mind a planted on bead to cover the expansion gap.

Or indeed, there's some good solid hardwood flooring around.

If you do replace the floor, you may be able to sell your old boards. Old 'characterful' wood seems to still be fashionable in shops and cafes, but as you are finding, one house room won't yield enough, once you discard what has been ruined by old plumbing and electrical work etc.

That sounds interesting, thanks for the heads up.
That's certainly food for thought..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've done acres of floor with Bosch belt sander followed by Bosch ROS, both connected to a Trend t30. Works very well, virtually no dust left behind, no need for masks, anything left easily removed with normal light dusting.

I think if you tried floor sanding without direct dust extraction as per Trend T30 then dust would go everywhere and find its way around the house, however well protected you yourself were.

They have a very long hose so you don't need to haul them around much.

Jacob":2ywjhkzb said:
I've done acres of floor with Bosch belt sander followed by Bosch ROS, both connected to a Trend t30. Works very well, virtually no dust left behind, no need for masks, anything left easily removed with normal light dusting.

I think if you tried floor sanding without direct dust extraction as per Trend T30 then dust would go everywhere and find its way around the house, however well protected you yourself were.

They have a very long hose so you don't need to haul them around much.

Thanks for the reply, maybe I should invest in one of those.
It's really the smallest particles I'm bothered about; you hear horror stories about the tiny particles in the sub micron range that do a lot of damage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back