Sneak peak : Latest backsaw build.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swagman

Established Member
Reaction score
Its always a good time to raise the profile of saw making.

Here is the latest backsaw I am working on. At this stage the handle shape is finished and I have applied a seal coat of amber shellac .

The handle wood is Tas. Tiger Myrtle. The saw plate is 0.025 gauge; 16 inches in length; and 3 1/2 inches in depth below the hardback.

Stewie;

Your usual very high standard =D>

I'm working on an old Sorby saw at the moment and trying to decide whether to cut the teeth on the new saw plate first or after its fitted to the old brass back and handle.

Looks like you do it afterwards. Does it damage the teeth if you do it before ? Thwacking it into the brass back ?

Mr_P":2o2qsj08 said:
Your usual very high standard =D>

I'm working on an old Sorby saw at the moment and trying to decide whether to cut the teeth on the new saw plate first or after its fitted to the old brass back and handle.

Looks like you do it afterwards. Does it damage the teeth if you do it before ? Thwacking it into the brass back ?

Hi Mr_P. In your case, I would recommend you fit the brass back before you file the teeth.

The brass backs I use are all machined to a slide fit tolerance. I don't have to bang them on like you do with a folded back.

Stewie;

undergroundhunter":2ngvvgnz said:
wow that is stunning.

Matt

Thanks Matt. I should have mentioned the saw bolt heads are only marked with pencil to help identify their position on the handle.

Stewie;

Great looking Saw, would look nice next to the Skelton Dovetail saw that is being made for me at this moment.

Stunning looking saw , love it :D Got to agree with Ed it looks like its in the same league as the Skelton . Look forward to your next project Stewie

Cheers Bern :D

matthewwh":1sj416ux said:
If it cuts as well as it looks it will be a real treat!

Fantastic work Stewie.

Thanks Matt. Would you expect me to produce a backsaw that would not cut as well as it looks. :shock:

Ed Bray":2b3vgodp said:
Great looking Saw, would look nice next to the Skelton Dovetail saw that is being made for me at this moment.

Thanks Ed. Who said this saw wasn't for sale. And at a price that's cheaper than the dt you mentioned.

Berncarpenter":1rd208hn said:
Stunning looking saw , love it :D Got to agree with Ed it looks like its in the same league as the Skelton . Look forward to your next project Stewie

Cheers Bern :D

Thanks Bern. Open handles are much easier to shape.

Back