Pink Myrtle Open Handle Backsaw.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swagman

Established Member
Reaction score
Another open handle backsaw build in progress. The handle wood is Tasmanian Pink Myrtle. Gorgeous timber to work with. The saw plate dimensions; 12 inches L x 2 1/2" D below the hardback. Looking quite nice so far.

Stewie;

Same handle design as the previously completed open handle , but I made some subtle changes to its shape to reduce some of the bulk. I am very pleased with the end result.

Stewie;

The shaping of the brass back has been completed. 1 more coat of garnet shellac still required. The saw teeth on this backsaw will be filed 12 tpi; 8 degrees rake angle.

Stewie;

That wood looks nice. Nice straight grain, and the finish gives it a good sheen and mellow colour, which I presume will only get better when you have finished.. Your shaping of the back looks classy too.

One thing that does catch my eye though is the plate of the saw; in that last photo it has a kind of mildly scoured look that wasn't visible in the earlier photographs, though it could be exaggerated by the lighting. I know this is a work in progress, can you tell us more about the finishing of the plate ?

Sheffield Tony":loc8wsnt said:
That wood looks nice. Nice straight grain, and the finish gives it a good sheen and mellow colour, which I presume will only get better when you have finished.. Your shaping of the back looks classy too.

One thing that does catch my eye though is the plate of the saw; in that last photo it has a kind of mildly scoured look that wasn't visible in the earlier photographs, though it could be exaggerated by the lighting. I know this is a work in progress, can you tell us more about the finishing of the plate ?

Hi Tony. The shaping of the back is all filed by hand. To remove any visable scratches over the saw plate I use a specially shaped buffing wheel at medium speed. The saw plate is then reworked at a much lower speed after the saw teeth have been filed and set, to develop a much more consistant horizontal pattern. This remaining pattern helps prevent fingerprints from showing up clearly on the saw plate during later handling. Its a technique I now favor with my saw making work.

regards Stewie;

The hard back has now been secured in place; the makers mark has been stamped; the handle has received its final coat of shellac; and the saw teeth have been filed 12 tpi @ 8* rake angle. The performance of the saw has then been tested on rip and cross grain, with the set lightly stoned to fine tune the accuracy of sawn kerf. I will leave the shellac finish to further harden over a 5 days period before buffing it to a higher shine.

Stewie;

I have drawn up a closed version of the Moses Eadon Open Handle. I will be able to make a better judgement call on its final shape after I view it in 3 dimensional handle form.

Stewie;

not many saws left to make on your list now is there Stewie?

Back