Yippee its here

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Well this was planned for Saturday as I had quite day today decided to go buy my new toy.
Now feel rough due to the heart problem(wife moaning saying I have done too much).
So after a short rest I will spend the next couple of days removing the old lathe and installing the new one. The reason it is out of the box was to make it easier to get in from the car as I could not lift it in the box.

This is good as it gives the boiler I am making time to dry before turning.

How long will it take to get dirty and I still have this months challenge to do yet

DSCF3123_zps18065cdc.jpg

Yes, exciting, I can still remember my own excitement when my CL3 was delivered!

Take it just one step at a time, don't forget that it is easy putting it on the floor, lifting the motor etc. to elbow height is a different matter.

The only other piece of advice is keep your eye on how the bed bar clamps are fitted, there is a right and a wrong way!

Regards Peter.

Should be up and running within the next couple of days

petercharlesfagg":18vu9x3x said:
Yes, exciting, I can still remember my own excitement when my CL3 was delivered!

Take it just one step at a time, don't forget that it is easy putting it on the floor, lifting the motor etc. to elbow height is a different matter.

The only other piece of advice is keep your eye on how the bed bar clamps are fitted, there is a right and a wrong way!

Regards Peter.

I noticed that as they are not that clear when you first pick them up. Luckily I was a plant mechanic before having to pack up work and tend to double check everything, it use to help when you had to explain to customers how a machine works especially when it was also a new one to the company everyone use to laugh at me but I always ended up having the last laugh.
The wife will be helping with some of the heavy stuff which at one time I would think nothing of when lifting

Take it easy, and enjoy. The most awkward part of assembling mine (DML36SH) was holding the nut inside the motor housing while supporting the motor and fitting the locking bolt. Lots of swearing at that point.

Thanks all look forward to playing with it.

Tazmaniandevil":2bstsolx said:
Take it easy, and enjoy. The most awkward part of assembling mine (DML36SH) was holding the nut inside the motor housing while supporting the motor and fitting the locking bolt. Lots of swearing at that point.

Had no problem with that part as I have something that helps no end and that is called the wife she balanced it while I did up the lever.

As you may gather I have dismantled the old Draper lathe and have now assembled the Record, and I still can't use it I forgot to get the oil for the bearing. Never mind the wife to the rescue again she is now walking down to the local motor factors ( Now what would I do without her she is a gem but don't tell her)

All set up and waiting
DSCF3125_zpsc2df9129.jpg

DonJohnson":19axzrxu said:
I may have misunderstood, but did the £400 machine suppliers NOT include the necessary oil ?

Unfortunately no it does not like most companies today they do not want to give too much away

winemaker":19axzrxu said:
Nice lathe you have there =P~ :D Take it easy :) now get you egg turned =D>

Need to turn a boiler first

Hi

Nice to see you've set up your new lathe and no doubt by now are spinning away :) :)

One thing I'd recommend you do before long is to remove the tail centre, (unless you are actually using it), - it's rather painful when you accidently impale your elbow on it, (you only do it once :wink: ).

Regards Mick

Spindle":3lw7o87p said:
Hi

Nice to see you've set up your new lathe and no doubt by now are spinning away :) :)

One thing I'd recommend you do before long is to remove the tail centre, (unless you are actually using it), - it's rather painful when you accidently impale your elbow on it, (you only do it once :wink: ).

Regards Mick

I always take off or take out any fittings after every turning session as they all have there place and I then know where to find what other wise I tend to spend too much time looking for things. And before anyone says the workshop is not pristine and does get in a mess even though I vacuum it every day when I am working in there

Glad to see they've moved the toolrest mount tightening screw to the front of the machine, having the three handles for motor, toolrest and tail mounts can be a pain in the butt joint.

Do they still use the collar to eject the drive centre?

yup....I don't like that. My one wish for improvement to that classic lathe is to have the spindle come right through the headstock so you can have an outboard type handle to provide resistance when tightening screw chuck blanks or similarly undoing them and also a hollow centre to knock out drive centres. Apart from that niggle I really like my CL4. The swivelling headstock is incredibly useful when deep hollowing bowls.

Dalboy I am pleased you are happy with your new lathe. Enjoy it and make a lot of shavings. Two things to remember one your wife needs a diner and a night out and secondly make a quail egg and not an ostrich one. Nearly forgot there is a third look after your health we all only get one shot at life. Kind Regards Roger

Dalboy":2eenr2z4 said:
Need to turn a boiler first

Well as I said The first job on the new lathe was to turn a boiler. So today I managed to get that done the first photo is the glue up and the second is the boiler roughly in place

DSCF3118_zpsf74e3595.jpg

DSCF3133_zpsbedc1f69.jpg

Latest posts

Back