Perfect way to clean a water stone.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PalmRoyale

Established Member
Reaction score
As it turns out a latex rubber block, the kind you use to clean sanding belts, is also perfect to clean a water stone with. It removes the metal shavings without removing material from the stone. I tried it on the Shapton Glass 3000 and it's completely clean again.

David Charlesworth, right? Let me guess, you're one of those people who flattens a stone before each use? It must suck if you've been in woodworking for decades but you still don't know how to keep a stone flat with a chisel or plane blade. Maybe I should make a video about it and sell it to all the amateur woodworkers out there. Easy money.

Wow. Right or wrong about the actual topic at hand, that's a pretty rude post. Whether you agree with David's way of doing things or not, a bit of courtesy wouldn't go amiss I'd say.

I agree with Memzey. It depends what you mean by flat. A perfectly flat back is required for flattening the back of a chisel or plane blade or for "backing off" after honing. To do this with a chisel or plane blade seems to me impossible. Dc himself advocates methtods of sharpening to minimise dishing but I'm sure he wouldn't claim that it obviated the need for flattening fairly regularly. If you can achieve this miracle please do enlighten us.

Jim

I flatten my King 1200 once every 5-6 weeks. My Sigma Select II 6000 gets flattened maybe once every 4 months. And when I say they're out of flat I mean they're out of flat by 1mm over the entire length. You just have to know how to work the stone. Long strokes over the entire length of the stone with the bevel and with the back you work on the two ends. It really isn't that hard.

And here's what most internet woodworkers just don't get about stones. You all think a stone has to be dead flat over the entire working length. Let's take a stone that's 21cm long and it's out of flat by 1mm over the entire length (which is the maximum deviation for me). That means it's out of flat by 0.004mm over 1cm lengthwise. Let's say this same stone is out of flat by 0.5mm over the entire width (which again is the maximum deviation for me) that means it's out of flat by just 0.007mm over 1cm widthwise. Anyone who thinks such a small deviation from dead flat effects how a chisel performs simply has no hand tool skills.

I personally would have taken the hint. 3 replies suggesting you may have gone over the top should at least have tempered a further reposte.
So assuming you are the expert on flattening water stones, which are essentially the means of sharpening woodworking tools to produce woodwork - any examples of your woodwork so we can critique them against David C?

Blimey you make dear old Jacob sound humble.
Maybe you need to go back under your bridge and stay there.

I might agree with you on stone flatness (although I freehand on oil stones and just maintain flatness by using all of the stone so less relevant to me) but I certainly don't think your second post on this thread was warranted. Perhaps you didn't mean it to come across that way but it read extremely nasty. Not what most posters on this site log in for I think.

PalmRoyale":2da3f9zj said:
And here's what most internet woodworkers just don't get about stones. You all think a stone has to be dead flat over the entire working length. Let's take a stone that's 21cm long and it's out of flat by 1mm over the entire length (which is the maximum deviation for me). That means it's out of flat by 0.004mm over 1cm lengthwise. Let's say this same stone is out of flat by 0.5mm over the entire width (which again is the maximum deviation for me) that means it's out of flat by just 0.007mm over 1cm widthwise. Anyone who thinks such a small deviation from dead flat effects how a chisel performs simply has no hand tool skills.

You might care to check your maths. Assuming the wear is an even circular curve (which it won't be), wear of 1mm depth over a 200mm length equates to 1/20th mm over 1/20th of 200mm, or 0.05mm over a 10mm (1cm) length.

Leaving that aside, any curved wear to a stone will reflect in the abrasion of a chisel or plane-iron flat side when backing off. Back off a flat chisel on a curved stone, and you'll quickly generate a curved back to the chisel - as many a vintage chisel purchaser has noted.

If your way of doing things works for you, that's great. Others prefer different ways, and as in the case of David C, have given their reasons for using their methods on many occasions.

Glynne":1633cv1i said:
any examples of your woodwork so we can critique them against David C?
Okay, sure. The first picture is where I work and I've worked on every boat you see in the picture.
LeHFtT6.jpg

wAYaWdH.jpg

p3M8J1k.jpg

Davind Charlesworth is a furniture maker, not a shipwright, and he doesn't have the skill to do what I do.

Well at least one person in the world is full of admiration where you are concerned. :roll:

Rudeness is in my opinion something which an adult should only use when it is justified and that is actually seldom in life. Gratuitous rudeness is childish. Rudeness combined with arrogance starts to look just stupid.

Nice boats by the way.

Andy Kev.":27oqczov said:
Rudeness is in my opinion something which an adult should only use when it is justified and that is actually seldom in life. Gratuitous rudeness is childish. Rudeness combined with arrogance starts to look just stupid.

Nice boats by the way.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. It's a child pretending to be an adult. :roll:
Some of the rudest most condescending posts I've seen in a while. A relatively new member by the number of posts, maybe you should disappear back into your little boat where you can bask in self appreciation. (hammer)

Bob

The thing is I just can't stand all the self proclaimed wood working experts on youtube while the only thing they're capable of is making some simple furniture. I can do what David Charlesworth, Rob Cosman, Chris Schwartz and others do with my eyes closed but every English speaking amateur wood workers thinks those guys are wood working gods. Well, they're not. They're amateurs. I'm a real Frisian shipwright and they will never come close to what I and the other guys I work with are capable of.

I have two children under seven who have more concept of basic human interaction than you seem to have. Amateur woodworker (scum of the earth) but I wouldn't trade the lack of skill/experience for your 'ultra skills' if it involved the loss of personality and charm for all the tea in China. Btw. Tbh I feel you have other issues so good luck, I'm sure you really are special.

Bm101":u8ifoa08 said:
I have two children under seven who have more concept of basic human interaction than you seem to have. Amateur woodworker (scum of the earth) but I wouldn't trade the lack of skill/experience for your 'ultra skills' if it involved the loss of personality and charm for all the tea in China. Btw. Tbh I feel you have other issues so good luck, I'm sure you really are special.

+1

My 4 year old granddaughter has more interpersonal skills.

PS

I've just read the his other posts :roll: :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back