need help with vibration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodmechanic

Reaction score
I have an axminster awss 18 flex scroll saw and the vibration I am getting from it is unbelievable there ia no way I could do any delicate work with the machine is there anything I can do or check because as it stands i find the saw unuseable

Concrete or wooden floor? If variable speed, is it the same at all speeds? Is it brand new and has been like it from new or did it used to be ok but has happened since moving to new location?

We'll need more info before we can help.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.

Barry

woodmechanic":2yy27nbg said:
I have an axminster awss 18 flex scroll saw and the vibration I am getting from it is unbelievable there ia no way I could do any delicate work with the machine is there anything I can do or check because as it stands i find the saw unuseable

is your machine this one? Axminster Trade Series AWFS18? if so you shouldn't have any vibration from the saw as they are VERY smooth normally (I have one), what do you have it mounted on? a good solid table/bench should be fine, my own is just resting on a normal kitchen unit with worktop not bolted down and has zero vibration. what speed are you using?
Cheers and welcome to the forum
Brian :D

Hi, I am new in this forum but noticed your post

I also have an AWFS18 which is vibration free at all speeds, mine sits atop an Axminster stand but isn't even bolted down, it hasn't moved a muscle

Sounds like you have a problem in a loose bolt or a fault

Welcome to the Forum.

The vibration you're experiencing is definitely NOT normal from all I've heard of this machine.

Questions?

1. Is it on a bench or a stand?
2. Is the bench/stand fixed (to the wall or floor)?
3. Is the machine fixed to the bench/stand?
4. Are all the machine feet present?

If the answer to any/all of the above is No, then fix those points first. If all OK in the above departments, then you've a problem with your machine. Again, Questions:

5. New or S/H?
6. Has this machine always had the problem or only just started?
7. (as posted above) - At All speeds or just some speeds?

Then:

8. Carefully check the machine all over for any loose nuts and bolts, tightening as you go (but NOT using 12 foot long wrenches)!!!

9. Carefully check the arms in all planes - are any bent?

10. At slowest speed, does the blade move back to front (as well as up and down!) when looking carefully from the side.

11. Ditto, does the blade move side to side (as well as up and down!) when looking carefully from in front/from behind?

If the answer to either both of the above is Yes, then either an arm has got bent (unlikely if the saw has not been dropped/badly mistreated) or the bearings are worn/very dry.

When you've answered all the above come back again and post the results and someone here will be sure to help you - there are very knowledgeable and helpful people here.

One or more pictures will help, but as a new member you will not be allowed to post pix until after you've made (I think) 5 posts.

HTH

AES

Back