Changing grinder wheels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bertterbo

Established Member
Reaction score
My new slow speed 8" grinder has a 180 grit stone wheel on the one side and a higher grit CBN on the other.

However, to get the CBN package, they simply replace the original stone wheel, which they ship as a spare (a bit annoying, I'd rather they just reduce the price).

I was just going to sell this additional wheel, but as its a low grit (80) I thought it would be good to keep for reshaping.

My question, .... is it bad idea to keep changing wheels like this? I wouldn't be doing it that often, maybe once a month or so?

I know I'll get the question of why not replace the 180 with the 80 and get rid of the 180? .... I don't want to do this as I like to use stone wheels for scrapers and CBN for gouges.

It is not a bad idea so much as maybe a less economic one. When you change the wheel, if there is any runout, you need to dress the wheel. The more often you dress, the more of the abrasive you 'waste' (i.e it falls onto the floor without ever having done any useful abrading). That being said, it is probably the difference between buying a new wheel once every five years as opposed to once every ten years.

You could minimise this by noting how the existing wheel is mounted and returning it to the same place each time. Similarly with the 'new' wheel. Once it has had its initial dressing, mark how it sits relative to the spindle and remount it the same way.

I would say that 180 grit is very fine, 120 grit fine, 80 grit medium & 40/60 grit coarse, but it's subjective. If you have a higher grit than 180 you are getting into extremely fine territory.
Again, in my opinion, you don't need much above 120 grit for wood turning tools.

I would say that 180 grit is very fine, 120 grit fine, 80 grit medium & 40/60 grit coarse, but it's subjective. If you have a higher grit than 180 you are getting into extremely fine territory.
Again, in my opinion, you don't need much above 120 grit for wood turning tools.
Not sure what question you're answering there :p

Personally, it would drive me nuts, all that faffing around. It should be safe enough, done with care, but, as ChaiLatte points out, you may well have to true the wheels up after every change, even marking them and always installing in the same place as he suggests.
I would seriously consider buying another grinder. The Record Power 8" grinder can sometimes be as low as £100 when they have a sale. You could then have a grinder for HSS turning tools and another for carbon steel tools and lawnmower blades etc.

All depending on available space and funds of course!
Duncan

Hmm, yes. I certainly don't have space for another grinder to be permanently setup.

I think I'll sell the 8" wheel, and just get a cheapo 6" grinder from screwfix that I can pull out and setup when needed. I won't be reshaping that often.

Latest posts

Back