help choosing bandsaw please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluesman

Established Member
Reaction score
As an occasional hobbyist doing mainly light ripping and shaping of of 1" thick hardwood I have decided to buy a budget benchtop bandsaw around £100-150. Spent ages trawling the net for reviews but going in circles. Read your topic on what everyone on here has but they all seem to be bigger and more expensive than I need.

Shortlist so far is Charnwood 8" W711, or 10" W715
SIP 10" 10484,

which I have looked at on Ebay and other sites. Can anyone add any comments about these or any other better ones for similar price please. Other names I have found on Ebay are Rexon, Sealy, Perform, Draper, Delta.

Slightly more expensive are the Metabo Bas 260 swift and Elektra Bekum is it worth paying the extra for what I need?

Thanks

Hi bluesman and welcome to the forum :)
I have the 12" sip and I have been very hapy with but I have not use the 10".
I think you can get the 12" one for you top end price on Ebay I think.
I hope that helps :)
Colin

I have the charnwood 715 and adapted it to a 9" cut depth - I posted the mod on here.

I have no complaints at all with the charnwood and it deals with everything I throw at it. The only thing to bear in mind, as with all bandsaws, is the need for a good quality blade from the likes of Dure Edge or Dragon (I use Dragon now as Dure Edge have business problems)

Thanks for the welcome everyone. The SIP looks like it might be same machine as the Axminster in different dress. Except Ax is a bit cheaper and comes with a cabinet stand.

Not sure about blades, toothe sizes etc got a lot to learn - what would be a good alrounder for cutting 1 inch hardwood please

Hi Bluesman

I've got a Record RSBS10, which I've had for a couple of years. When I bought it, it was being replaced by the Record BS250 , which is pretty similar (apart from an "improved" fence, different blade guard, curvy doors). The new Record model has been well reviewed, but is getting pricey now compared with the competition. The Axminster and SIP are - as far as I can see - practically identical to the Record, and the Charnwood W715 looks similar, too. So, as has already been advised, it's down to price. If I was buying another similar-sized bandsaw, I'd go for the Axminster.

So far, I've been very happy with mine. I have spent some time fiddling with it and adjusting it. Like other forum members I've found that the secret to good performance lies with a decent blade.

I've been happily ripping and cross-cutting sapele up to 45 mm thick and meranti up to 70 mm thick recently, using a 6 tpi, skip tooth, 1/2 inch blade which I bought from Dura-Edge (it's been excellent - shame they're no longer supplying bandsaw blades). Through trial and error, I've found that by keeping the feed rate down and not forcing the blade, it will cut straight and true. I've tried a 3/8 inch blade, but the 1/2 inch is much better for straight cutting. Other than Dragon (recommended on this forum), TRUCUT (Ross-on-Wye 01989 769371) can make blades to order. I've also tried Record Power blades - they were reasonably priced and seemed OK.

Hope this helps!

Les[/url]

Yes that does help thanks. I've had a reply from Axminster to say that their machine is in fact the same as the SIP except they have added and upgraded fence and mitre stop as the SIP one isn't very good. Also price includes a metal cabinet, free next day delivery. what more can I say I think the decision is made.

When I get it I'll be back here to ask you guys how to use it!!!

thanks all

I got it today. Spent a while setting it up and had a little practise, it's going to be very useful, wish I'd got one years ago.

Back