Help choosing my first bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gibonator

Reaction score
Hello!

I have recently started setting up a workshop and while researching bandsaws I came across this forum :)

I'm looking for some advice on choosing my first bandsaw, ideally I'd like at least 4" of resaw capacity but my budget is quite small (currently saving for a wedding)

I think I've narrowed it down to the following choices :-

Fox F28-186A
120mm capacity for around £200
Scheppach basa 1
100mm capacity also for around £200
Charnwood w715
100mm capacity also for around £200
Axminster HBS250N
120mm capacity for around £300

I have seen many people recommending machines from Axminster but the reviews of this bandsaw on their own site seem a bit mixed, complaints about loosing tension when resawing, issues fitting the cabinet etc. Also, is it really worth £100 more than any of the others?

will any of these actually cope with resawing 4" of hardwood do you think?

Thank you for any advice! :D

DO NOT buy the fox.

but youve opened a can o worms now, prepare for two dozen different recommendations. My recommendation is axminster

I would take the Record BS250 over the Axminster
Record bandsaws are well regarded, have a 5 year warranty and very good aftersales

I have the Record 250 but it won't re-saw 100mm very well. Mine works well up to around 50mm and I can recommend it subject to it's limitations.

John

The Record bandsaws carry a 5 year guarantee and are considered to be good machines. However, they do need to be tuned correctly and having good blades is essential as blades supplied by manufacturers are far from the best. They will do a job, but not the best.

As you are saving for a wedding, my suggestion would be to seriously consider if you want such an expence just yet. Tools will take a fair bit of money and the costs of wedding as well as setting up a home together are far more important in my opinion. Think about it seriously and consider saving a seperate 'hobby pot' that can be used once you have both set up home and can consider the 'pot' as fun money that you can afford to lose.

I hope all goes well for you both and you will reach the 50+ years that we have, but in the early years, there was little spare money for hobbies with so many costs of living together and buying 'essentials'!
Malcolm

Spend all your money now, you won't have any money of your own once your married. (hammer) :wink:

Mike

Alexam":2qbijv7j said:
The Record bandsaws carry a 5 year guarantee and are considered to be good machines. However, they do need to be tuned correctly and having good blades is essential as blades supplied by manufacturers are far from the best. They will do a job, but not the best.

As you are saving for a wedding, my suggestion would be to seriously consider if you want such an expence just yet. Tools will take a fair bit of money and the costs of wedding as well as setting up a home together are far more importamt in my opinion. Think about it seriously and consider saving a seperate 'hobby pot' that can be used once yopu have set up home and can consider the 'pot' as fun money that you can afford to loose.

I hope all goes well for you both and you will reach the 50+ years that we have, but in the early years, there was little spare money for hobbies!
Malcolm

Thank you very much for your well wishes! I do actually have a little set aside for hobby costs already, but you are right about the wedding costs! are either of the cheaper saws worth the cost or is it a false economy?

MikeJhn":2qbijv7j said:
Spend all your money now, you won't have any money of your own once your married. (hammer) :wink:

Mike

it's started already, who knew flowers were so expensive! :lol:

Are you going to use your saw for fine furniture making or ripping down timber for construction projects?

Mike

I'm not sure it is realistic to expect a band saw to accurately re-saw to the full height available, if you really are in the market for a saw that will oft be resawing 100mm boards I'd think you'd need to go larger.

I have an old Elu 3501 that can get c. 130mm under the top guide but resawing at this height has never been successful. With a new sharp (tuffsaws) blade I can get a decent accurate resaw on 75mm oak but any thicker and it wanders like a wandering thing.

F.

Fitzroy":14ln6rlt said:
I'm not sure it is realistic to expect a band saw to accurately re-saw to the full height available, if you really are in the market for a saw that will oft be resawing 100mm boards I'd think you'd need to go larger.

I have an old Elu 3501 that can get c. 130mm under the top guide but resawing at this height has never been successful. With a new sharp (tuffsaws) blade I can get a decent accurate resaw on 75mm oak but any thicker and it wanders like a wandering thing.

F.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was wandering, certainly can't afford a nice 14/16" one so I'll have to make do with smaller capacity I think!

Does anyone have any opinion on the Scheppach or Charnwood (or any other saw at a similar price?)

If I was in the market for this size and cost of Bandsaw I would go for the Axminster, one because of their excellent reputation and after sales service, but mainly because the Axminster HBS250N addresses one of the main things I don't like about most bandsaws and that is the habit some manufacturers have of using the side of a bearing as a thrust guide, (cheap solution) or not using bearings at all, (even cheaper) just rubbing blocks, its a personal thing, but its very bad engineering.

Mike

Back