Yet another Youtube genius

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have seen that video, or a similar one before.

Safety aside, it doesnt make a particularly good bowl, and you would be restricted to a standard size and shape, outside and in. That is the big disappointment for me- he has gone to all that effort to make the table saw produce something that isnt very good!

Silverbirch":35hreauq said:
And for my next trick
Ripping Planks on the Lathe. :roll:

Ian

I actually laughed out loud at your comment. The lengths some people will go to try and do something different.

Matt

All of you guys are ragging on him but you forget something - it's the guys that go "why the hell not?" that gave you most of the items you use and take for granted every single day of your lives.

While what he did isn't the best way to do it - he gave it a good shot and it turned out something that was usable, and didn't die in the process.

What more exactly do you want?

rafezetter":899211jh said:
All of you guys are ragging on him but you forget something - it's the guys that go "why the hell not?" that gave you most of the items you use and take for granted every single day of your lives.

While what he did isn't the best way to do it - he gave it a good shot and it turned out something that was usable, and didn't die in the process.

What more exactly do you want?

Hear hear, I admire the guy's ingenuity and the workmanship looks good too.

If he had come up with that a hundred or so years ago he would probably have come up with a simple way to mass produce wooden bowls and made money out of it.

nanscombe":3bfpxi0u said:
If he had come up with that a hundred or so years ago he would probably have come up with a simple way to mass produce wooden bowls and made money out of it.

The money wasn't in bowls so they went for something like this Patent No. X0003436 Machine for turning gun stocks September 6, 1819

paultnl":3vgak8cu said:
nanscombe":3vgak8cu said:

The money wasn't in bowls so they went for something like this Patent No. X0003436 Machine for turning gun stocks September 6, 1819

I can see where you are coming from; but still slightly pedantic. (patent is for a lathe)

Fact is the guy had an idea, and went with it. Maybe he knew about the common practice of making wood cove moulding with a table saw, maybe he saw the youtube of another similar, but to my eyes even MORE stupid way of turning a bowl on a tablesaw; a guy simply holding a circular blank onto a spinning blade with his bare hands!! (like he was juicing a grapefruit) and thought "I can do better". Whatever the reason for how he got there, he had the idea and give it a try, and gave very obvious and considered thought into making it as safe as he could, and repeatable.

Does a man HAVE to have a lathe to turn a bowl? He's proven the answer is a resounding NO.

Frankly I'm a little dismayed at the elitist snobbery being displayed here.

Back