Yet another what wood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimB

Established Member
Reaction score
A month or so back we had to have two trees removed - one was a fast growing wattle, the other rather old and coniferous. It leaves a huge gap. Not native to the UK.
what wood3.jpg

Attachments

• what wood3.jpg
    what wood3.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 782
When you day it is not native to GB do you actually mean it won't grow here or only that it would be imported ( as many of our plants are )

Grahamshed":boitxxid said:
When you day it is not native to GB do you actually mean it won't grow here or only that it would be imported ( as many of our plants are )
Trust you Graham, I had to look it up. :D Yes it is grown in the UK though I don't think it would be particularly common except in parks and botanic gardens - but I could be wrong.

well....International-ness aside, I have to say that is identical to the Olive Ash I have. The bark, heartwood, sapwood and grain texture and colour are a dead ringer for my downed olive ash from the valentines storm. I guess logically, given your description that that's not possible? But it sure as hell looks the same.

I have given this a great deal of thought and looked it up in an old encyclopaedia so I am pretty sure I'm right.

Its a bit of tree.

Graham is spot on with his bit of tree. :D
However, to be finicky, Chrispy is getting very close with species.
Just back home from a night out and it's past my bedtime. Tomorrow I'll post a tree picture before felling. The wood smells fantastic.

KimG":1nfdurr3 said:
Atlas Cedar, Deodar?
Deodar Cedar it is Kim. There are quite a few in older gardens across here.
It was over a hundred years old and succumbed to a combination of drought and a reticulated sewerage system. For years it had survived on septic run-off but the drought was the last straw especially as we had harsh water restrictions for outdoors. I'll put the pics up after breakfast.

Well that was a guess based solely on Chrispy's answer and Jim's response which was a definite clue. I know what all three trees look like as they are not unusual in the UK, Deodars are probably the least well known though, I have had some Cedar of Lebanon timber in the past, lovely smell, but I forget how it looked beyond "a pale wood" Never seen the timber of Deodar or Atlas Cedar before.

Another fascinating thread Jim! :)

Quite an amount is under cover now. It is supposed to be excellent for drawer sides and cupboard backs as it keeps insects away. Unlike its feed stock Graham. :D

wood3.jpg
This gave us a hint that something was wrong. The birds are galahs.
The heartwood darkens as it seasons and is more attractive than might appear at first.

Attachments

• wood3.jpg
    wood3.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 351
Back