wrong slope

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patl

Established Member
Reaction score
So, there I am in Buck and Ryan at lunchtime with the intention of looking at/buying a veritas low angle jointer. I'm all poised at the top of the slope only to find that they don't carry them.
But somehow, I got convinced to enter the world of routers with a baby Trend T3, so now I guess I'm at the top of a very different slope, oh dear...

Buck and Ryan used to be a very good store for tools but no longer. Last time I was there I think they had a couple of decent looking planes in a glass cabinet ( a sort of museum piece) and that was it. I think it stopped being any good around 1990.

Bobble hat...? :?

Evidentally a mistake was made and they got the wrong end of the stick when you said you wanted to enter the "world of routers". You didn't want that, you wanted one of these:

routerplanereview001.JPG

Cheers, Alf

Slope Deviating Rescue - every alert to the call to action! :wink:

One step at a time, Steve. One step at a time. :wink: Besides, he's gotta have something to look forward to, hasn't he? :lol:

Buck and Ryan's new London store is quite good - much improved over Tottenham Ct Road one - and they had the full Veritas LA range last time I was there.

They are expensive for anything that doesn't have a rigidly and uniformly applied RRP like the Veritas line - where they are exactly the same as all the rest.

patl":2jn1998t said:
So, there I am in Buck and Ryan at lunchtime with the intention of looking at/buying a veritas low angle jointer. I'm all poised at the top of the slope only to find that they don't carry them.

I'm surprised - several months ago the branch in Guildford told me that, of the top makes of planes, they were now only stocking Veritas (although they would order other makes if asked).

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Well in the glass cabinet (hands off, if you want to touch a plane, try the stanleys on the shelf over there...) they had a fair few veritas and clifton planes, even the above router. Sadly, nothing longer than a clifton fore plane. They even had a couple of absolutely imaculate boxed antique planes too. Didn't notice the price though.

patl":31b6lob7 said:
Well in the glass cabinet (hands off, if you want to touch a plane, try the stanleys on the shelf over there...)

Sounds like the manager of the branch you went to is an odd bloke who doesn't actually want to sell his tools :? I've always found the Guildford branch very helpful and quite happy for you to handle the tools you are interested in.

Paul

Messingers from those of us who remember it as the first port of call when in Guildford....hav'nt been in there for years, wonder what its like now as I remember it being a good establishment in the 70's - Rob

woodbloke":21krsx97 said:
Messingers from those of us who remember it as the first port of call when in Guildford....hav'nt been in there for years, wonder what its like now as I remember it being a good establishment in the 70's

It's pretty good - a reasonable range of tools (not just woodworking) and upstairs an extensive range of Liberon stuff, gardening equipment and general iron mongery. The staff are very helpful as well and quite happy to get stuff for you, usually quickly.

Paul

Back