Workshop Extension

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

herdsman

Established Member
Reaction score
I am going to add an extension to my existing workshop to use as a wood store, keeping all my timber in the workshop is proving a little difficult as the pile gets bigger.

I have set a concrete base to support the extension and this measures 15 feet x 8 feet. I want to construct the three sides of the extension from timber using the concrete base bare as the floor.

I am looking for advice on the size of timber to use for the framework and roof, the roof will be flat (floor to ceiling is 10 feet at the highest point) but sloping away from the exisitng building. In particular I need advice about weather proofing the whole thing.

Over to the experts.

herdsman, if you do a search on the forum for workshops there are many solutions you could use. Normal timber sizes for the frame is 4x2, and the weatherproofing solution are many. Check out my build shown below which might be a good starting point.

I would be inclined to lay two courses of bricks beneath the timber frames topped off with d.p.c.You could set some threaded bar into the brickwork to bolt the timber frames to.Timber to use is 4"x2" as pointed out already.I presume the timbers will be spanning the 8FT gap so 6"x2" should be ample.You could build the frames level all round,place the roof timbers on top,then add firrings,which are basically tapered timbers.2" of fall should suffice on that span,then i would board with osb and use torch on felt.Alternatively,you could pitch it from the ten foot height down to about eight feet and have small gable ends.Even at that,i think your choice of roof covering is board and felt.

Just had a thought.I'm presuming that you are building a fully enclosed building.With it being a timber store,are you leaving the sides open or are you enclosing it?

skipdiver":r8zpjgpr said:
Just had a thought.I'm presuming that you are building a fully enclosed building.With it being a timber store,are you leaving the sides open or are you enclosing it?

I want it to be enclosed, there is a door from the workshop into the proposed wood store. I may also put a bench in there with storage for tools and accessories to try and unclutter the workshop area as mush as possible.

Then 4"x2" framing,finished with shiplap or featheredge is the usual way to go.You could also board and insulate the inside,remembering to use vapour barrier where needed.There has been plenty of discussion on other workshop threads about finishes.

Back