Woodwork Places In Bournemouth

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saint Simon

Established Member
Reaction score
I am having a few days in and around Bournemouth and I'm hoping subscribers to this list might know of some places of interest in the area. Old tool shops, timber yards, museums, anywhere likely to be of interest please.
thanks
Simon

The Mary Rose in Portsmouth would be high on my list if I was in that part of the world.

About an hour away though.

Christchurch used to have a number of antique/house clearance shops, lot of retired people in that area. Plus there is a large indoor emporium which might be worth a look. Bournemouth is a lot more spread out but Google might turn up something.

The Rhinefield Drive in the New Forest is interesting, a lovely 2 mile level walk amongst dense Sequoia trees that were planted about 150 years ago and are now some of the biggest trees in Britain, there's a small arboretum on the walk as well.

A visit to Bucklers Hard is also worthwhile if you're in the area, it's where Nelson's favourite ship was built and there's a nice little shipbuilding museum. The nearby village of Beaulieu is very pretty and has an Abbey and the famous motor museum. If you're lucky you'll see me sailing up the river, running aground, and swearing a lot.

http://www.bucklershard.co.uk

The town of Lymington has a well preserved Georgian high street and you can also catch the world's most expensive ferry over to Yarmouth on the Isle of Wight.

Heading west there's the Jurassic Coast, Corfe Castle, Lulworth Cove and my personal favourite Tyneham village. Tyneham sits on MOD tank training land overlooking the sea, but is open on certain days. It was abandoned during WW2 to make way for the military and has ben empty ever since, it's a really melancholy location and a pretty special place.

http://www.visit-dorset.com/things-to-d ... ge-p136333

The Russell-Coates Museum is a small interesting museum in Bournemouth with nice views of the sea and coast.
A number of nice scenic routes of the New Forest from Bournemouth.
Studland Bay using the Chain Ferry at Sandbanks.
Tank Museum at Bovington.

Rod

Thanks to all for their suggestions. I had an interesting walk around Christchurch but didn't have to take my wallet from my pocket for anything other than ice creams.
Simon

Back