Woodrat Opinions please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thecoder

Established Member
Reaction score
having just watched the promo video for the woodrat I wondered if anyone has one and if they can give a spot of end user feedback please. I note that if not satisfied they will accept returns anyone had to do this ?

had mine for years

Love it! takes some getting used to but extremely versatile

I haven't used mine for about 10 years but it was quite capable . Might dust it off and give it a go again.

Cheers

Jon

JonnyD":mtq5efu3 said:
I haven't used mine for about 10 years but it was quite capable . Might dust it off and give it a go again.

Cheers

Jon

You might want to sell it Jonny after all that time :wink:

Harbo":h1k8zdy9 said:
Had mine about 8yrs - great bit of kit once you get your head round it.

This website will give you a vast amount of info:

http://www.aldel.co.uk/

Rod

Its the getting my head round it bit that bothers me Harbo :D are there any other pieces to buy to enable cutting tenons /mortices etc ?

thecoder":mckm9jyj said:
JonnyD":mckm9jyj said:

Cheers

Jon

You might want to sell it Jonny after all that time :wink:

I've thought about selling it a few times but I reckon it will come in handy one day.

Cheers

Jon

I have had mine for a few months. i am yet to cut dovetails on it, but if it broke, i would replace i with exactly the same- brand new if necessary. it really is that useful in my opinion. In fact, i could do with a router to leave permanently on it.

I need to build a router table at some point, but it is always on the back burner because the woodrat does 90% of what i would need a table for. the only real limitations i have found is running small mouldings and holding flat pieces. the latter, certainly can be done with a jig which i really should make. the windey handle power feed is worth the price in itself- set the work, set the router and wind the handle with your hands safely out of the way.

you are only in ponte- i am in north leeds (kirkstall). come and have a go if you want...

I bought one second hand earlier this year and as others have said it isn't the easiest to use. I still use a router table a lot more.....having said that there are some things that it is brilliant at, sliding dovetails, slots. Adel's site is really good as well, and there are various jigs to make, which are necessary for some things. I bought mine on ebay with a router, and do think it would be a bit of a faf if you had to mount the router each time. Geoff

marcros":32c0olvs said:
I have had mine for a few months. i am yet to cut dovetails on it, but if it broke, i would replace i with exactly the same- brand new if necessary. it really is that useful in my opinion. In fact, i could do with a router to leave permanently on it.

I need to build a router table at some point, but it is always on the back burner because the woodrat does 90% of what i would need a table for. the only real limitations i have found is running small mouldings and holding flat pieces. the latter, certainly can be done with a jig which i really should make. the windey handle power feed is worth the price in itself- set the work, set the router and wind the handle with your hands safely out of the way.

you are only in ponte- i am in north leeds (kirkstall). come and have a go if you want...

Thanks for the offer marcros I might take you up on that when I have done a bit more research. What do you use it the most for just out of curiosity ?

Giff":2fx6twwa said:
I bought one second hand earlier this year and as others have said it isn't the easiest to use. I still use a router table a lot more.....having said that there are some things that it is brilliant at, sliding dovetails, slots. Adel's site is really good as well, and there are various jigs to make, which are necessary for some things. I bought mine on ebay with a router, and do think it would be a bit of a faf if you had to mount the router each time. Geoff

Thanks for that Geoff, interesting that you mention making jigs for it,im sure one of the selling points in the vido was that it eliminated the need for jigs to make joints...I am impressed I must admit by the marketing vid but then thats marketing lol. the guys on here seem to think its quite useful .

it isnt so much jigs for different joints- more like jigs for different work holding, for example a horizontal table so that you can clamp things to it.

it isnt a huge faf mounting and demounting the router- a couple of screws on mine. i can see why you would buy a second router but it isnt essential.

Yeah looked at that one buy didn;t they rip the idea from the guy that designed the woodrat ?

marcros":3czkr32e said:
it isnt so much jigs for different joints- more like jigs for different work holding, for example a horizontal table so that you can clamp things to it.

it isnt a huge faf mounting and demounting the router- a couple of screws on mine. i can see why you would buy a second router but it isnt essential.

Ah got it that makes sense. do you have the plunge bar for yours marcros ?

thecoder":3g76pjs2 said:
marcros":3g76pjs2 said:

Ah got it that makes sense. do you have the plunge bar for yours marcros ?

not yet. i have a freud router that isn't listed on the compatibility. on the previous freud model you had to do something to a handle and i wasn't sure whether i would need to. watching the video, they certainly seem to worth getting.

Yes, I believe they copied the idea of the machine, but RB made so many enhancements and improvements that their machine now looks better all round.

Woodrat should take on board these improvements and redesign / offer them as accessories.

As far as I know the RB is not easily available over here.

Tony.

I have had the rat for longer than I would like to remember. Anyway, almost everyone has said that it takes a lot of thinking out to work, well their not wrong but if you watch the DVD often and trial test (especially dove tails) you do get to know how to, as they say. I have a T11 on the Rat full time, with plunge bar.(don't know how I ever managed before). I had to make a hand made kitchen and they wanted dove tail draws, well after a flick through the DVD (several times) The results were well done. Oh forgot to mention the raised panels, stiles and rails, glazing bars and nearly forgot the cornice and pelmets. All done on the woodrat. One last mention, I make 3mm dowels from Yew for my miniature windsor chairs, for spindles. Yes done on the Rat. So would I buy a RB. No. I haven't the floor space, the money and It would also mean that I would have to sell the Rat.

Latest posts

Back