Woodcut Tru-Grind problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lightweeder":2omt8zdh said:
Mulgabill":2omt8zdh said:
LW, I sent off an email to Woodcut and we will see if I get a reply?

Mulgabill - not sure how to post a link, but this www.philironswoodturning.co.uk is the address Paul gave us and he does respond. He's the sole UK dealer for Woodcut.

Axminster also sell them as well - that's where I got mine from

I think this should help a lot of people who are having difficulty with tool holder.
Go to Youtube and search. Woodcut Tru-Grind Toolholder Maintainence. There is a short clip that I have made that should solve the problems that some users are having.
Cheers
Phil

You can't post links immediately Phil. As a newbie (at posting of course :lol: ) you will be able to after a few more.

pete

Phil Irons":2affb1as said:
hi Pete,
yep that's the one, I'm new to posting on forums and hope I'm getting it right!!!!!!

Pete, thanks.

Phil, going out shortly to give this a try and will report back. Have my doubts though :?

Well, good news and bad from me. The threads were perfectly clean, and I tried tightening my bowl gouge in by hand. Ages since I did that, and it felt tight enough so I had a go. The good news is that I managed to get a decent edge on it just before it slipped out of the holder altogether :roll:

Another little tip.
Put the tool in the holder and let hold it so that the tool hangs vertically and do the nut up, this way your not fighting gravity. Give the handle a wriggle to check that it is seated properly and re-tighten the nut if necessary.
If the jig is set accurately by checking the bevel with a black marker pen, the tool should only need to be swung from one wing to the other once to sharpen it taking a few seconds. In fact for small 6mm spindle gouge I don't switch the grinder on, just pull the wheel round by hand and with a well dressed wheel that is sufficient to sharpen it.
With the holder coming out of the socket, try only holding the holder and tool shaft and not the handle. If you are holding down the handle it's very easy to inadvertently out of the socket and also apply too much pressure against the wheel.
I am going to re-do the whole video for the Tru-Grind and eventually all the Woodcut tools, it may take me a while but I'll get them done.
Persevere with the jig, I honestly feel that it is the best one out there having tried them all.
Cheers
Phil

Phil - thanks for your time.

I'll try the gravity thing, and I also take your point about just needing to wiz the thing past the grinder to get the correct edge. I've sent you a PM.

Phil Irons":pykpyar8 said:
Another little tip.
Put the tool in the holder and let hold it so that the tool hangs vertically and do the nut up, this way your not fighting gravity. Give the handle a wriggle to check that it is seated properly and re-tighten the nut if necessary.
If the jig is set accurately by checking the bevel with a black marker pen, the tool should only need to be swung from one wing to the other once to sharpen it taking a few seconds. In fact for small 6mm spindle gouge I don't switch the grinder on, just pull the wheel round by hand and with a well dressed wheel that is sufficient to sharpen it.
With the holder coming out of the socket, try only holding the holder and tool shaft and not the handle. If you are holding down the handle it's very easy to inadvertently out of the socket and also apply too much pressure against the wheel.

I'll try this tonight to see if it improves things.
The annoying thing is that I have the original version and the current one. Tightening the original was never a problem - it has always held the tools securely. The original nut worked really well.

Also, the original base has the tool socket angled forwards rather than just being horizontal and I've never had a problem with the handle coming out of the socket.

Thanks Phil for your response! I still have not received a reply from Woodcut NZ. I have also done as you have suggested but without success. I will persevere with ther jig and watch the forum for further updates.
Russell

Russell - I'm a month ahead of you, and still have no reply from Woodcut. I'm finding the jig is fine in short bursts, for a quick edge touch up, but the wing (tightened as far as I am able) doesn't hold the tool beyond that, and Duncan's point about the heel slipping out of the holder highlights a major design flaw to me.

Back