Wood movement question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corset

Established Member
Reaction score
I have started designing my next project and i have a wood movement question.
I am going to build a dovetail box anout 60cm by 40 by 40cm. The box will be solid wood and while the inside will the square the outsides will be tapered. I was so taken by the fluting of Philly's table i am stealing that idea :oops: . However i intend to make the side by jointing two planks and i do not wish to laminate lots of pieces together and show the joints
So i intended to joint two 20mm planks face to face and then taper or possibly gently curve the pieces then cut the grooves. However when viewed from the front it will have the joint of the two planks showing. Question is if a put a a 2mm veneer on to cover the joint and appear as one piece of wood will the wood movement pop the piece of??
I will put a small piece if banding to cover this joint.
I am really bad at explaing stuff. I hope this makes sense.
Owen

What is the wood species?

This is critical to the question as, for instance, Pine and Red Oak move loads, whereas Amercian Cherry for instance,moves condiderably less.

As an alternative, why not rout a groove along the joint and insert a thin piece of contrasting wood as a feature?

Cheers :wink:

Paul

That will overdo my design. Am i correct in interpreting that as back to the design board?

Owen

Not really, if you can find boards of a close match, when you do joint them, don't overglue, the joint is near invisible.

Dom

Right, Thankyou i will carry on drawing. I get a bit worried about forgetting something really basic when i start making something in my head.
Owen

I think you said you were joining boards face to face , presumably to create extra thickness?

If so, and if you cut through the joint at a low angle the glue line will show more than you might think.

Veneering one side of a board, is bad practice and will lead to cupping.
I know this was often done in antique furniture but this does not make it correct.

David C

I am joining the boards face to face to cfreate thickness.
I am corect in assuming i should create the thickness by joining lots of strips together the cut the scallops or just but thicker wood?
Sorry about delay in response but internet down.
Sorry to sound a bit stupid in all this.
Owen

Owen,

Thicker wood would be best, (ho ho ....) if you would be cutting through the glue joint of your proposed sandwich at a low angle.

Strips nicely joined and matched, edge to edge would be fine, as I assume your flutes would be cutting through the glue lines at 90 degrees.

However I am sorry if this is not very clear, it is quite a technical issue and I have not seen your design.

David C

Yes you are making sense. I will use strips i think. Thick wood would be a waste on my talents.
Thankyou for the advice i always like to minimise mistakes before i start and the advise on here is so usefull when you atart out.
Owen

Back