Wood choice for a 'buryable' treasure chest?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only failsafe method is- place contents in a wooden box (any wood) then place box inside a lead box and solder shut, ask a plumber or roofer for help with this

Jim

I think I would probably build a nice wooden box but line it with a plastic box to keep the contents dry. This could be as simple as just a large tupper ware box with the lid glued down with silicon but I would probably try and get some arcylic and build a box in side a box. Solvent weld the box together then silicon the joints for added security. Bung in some desiccant to take the last of the moisture and I think it'll last for 18 years.

One other thing. I'm not convinced the seal on the whiskey will last 18 years. If it's a screw cap I would say almost certainly not. A cork might but it could also ruin the whiskey. I don't know much about keeping alcohol for long times but I thought that with wine they replaced the corks occasionally.

Don't use CD-rom's or DVD's. The safest long term data storage is hard disks.

The other thing is to bury the chest at least a metre down to minimize frost-damage.

Elm was also used for the foundations off the New bridge about 700ish years old and the beams are still good to this day

Traditionally better class coffins were lead lined. An elm treasure chest lead lined and solder sealed would be a great way to go, a really authentic look 8)

Alan Jones":3jacwnx3 said:
Traditionally better class coffins were lead lined. An elm treasure chest lead lined and solder sealed would be a great way to go, a really authentic look 8)

I thought lead lined coffins were for those occasions when the coffin wasn't going to be buried, eg in a crypt or mausoleum, to contain the fruity aroma of decay?

BelgianPhil":3h6t23ci said:
Don't use CD-rom's or DVD's. The safest long term data storage is hard disks.

The other thing is to bury the chest at least a metre down to minimize frost-damage.

Do not use hard disks. Mechinical (moving part) items are prone to failure.. That is why large companies use Tape for long term archives..

Trouble with tapes are again you need something to read them and they can be picky..

I would say best chance for survival is CD, DVD & USB Stick. This way you have a range of media and something will likely surivive. USB stick will probably die with moisture, but the CD/DVD are pretty much inert the biggest kill of those is sunlight.

What terrific idea! Hope the forum is still around in 18 years so we can find out how it went!

Flounder wrote
"I thought lead lined coffins were for those occasions when the coffin wasn't going to be buried, eg in a crypt or mausoleum, to contain the fruity aroma of decay?"

That sounds plausible, the lead would certainly keep the smell in

Before I started woodworking I built a retaining wall out of green heart and when I asked someone in the know what to treat the bit that was going under ground with, he said I didn't have to treat it as it would out last me, even under ground untreated! No idea what it's like to work with though, and I believe the dust from it is quite harmful. So take precautions if you use it.

I seem to recall reading something like that. And my grandparents owned a piece of furniture (I think it has a specific name but I can;t remember what) that was a bedside table with a lead-lined compartment to keep a chamber pot in - the purpose of the lining being to contain the "aroma".

I should point out that it was rather old, and they simply used it as bedside table...

I would like to propose a new "test" to become a politician..

Russian Roulette with a Browning HP Semi Auto.

or we ask them "are you going to lie in office", then they have to answer and then they pull the trigger.. If the gun goes off they are lying.

Pvt_Ryan":2g0r4vs1 said:
I would like to propose a new "test" to become a politician..

Russian Roulette with a Browning HP Semi Auto.

or we ask them "are you going to lie in office", then they have to answer and then they pull the trigger.. If the gun goes off they are lying.

nah i vote we send them to afghanistan and make them walk point in the greenzone with body armor that isnt bullet proof, and guns that only jam if you try to fire them... see how they like it

if they make it back alive we let them stand for office

Latest posts

Back