Windows users - Security warning!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tried to do this but it said already done so windows update must of done it already ;)

or you could just close TCP ports 139 and 445 on the firewall......

Damn, i wasnt allowed to make that post. 2:108 and counting.

Raggy":3h8ml1mi said:
Tried to do this but it said already done so windows update must of done it already ;)
Yes it looks like Microsoft have acted very quickly and those with automatic updates switched on are probably already protected. As far as I am aware this information only released on 23 Oct.

IMO this is not the way IT professionals are proceeding - updates are being rolled out via the Microsoft package as just blocking TCP ports 139 and 445 at the firewall is only a partial solution because most desktops have file/printer sharing turned on.

In any case the average user will not want to tinker changing registry settings etc.

TonyW":23ehfjhd said:
IMO this is not the way IT professionals are proceeding - settings etc.

I worked in IT support and installations 20 years, obviously im not an IT professional.............

Actually, most home users havent the faintest idea how to turn on printer sharing, and if there running something even half baked like Zonealarm Free it'll block those ports anyway (you cant include Windows Firewall in the Firewall category, its a weak as London beer)

And personally, letting windows do what it wants with your system is seriously bad news, look what happened with XP SP2, it seriously screwed up many many machines..............

Lincolnshirebodger":22h8jexu said:
I worked in IT support and installations 20 years,
What is the relevance of this - most of your audience here are non IT ?

obviously im not an IT professional.............
Ok, statement accepted

Actually, most home users havent the faintest idea how to turn on printer sharing,
You are probably correct here - however there may be some who use several computers and share printers and files.
My original statement was wrong "most desktops have file/printer sharing turned on". It should have read "some desktops..." :oops:

and if there running something even half baked like Zonealarm Free it'll block those ports anyway (you cant include Windows Firewall in the Firewall category, its a weak as London beer)
Also many NAT router hardware has a Firewall which may automatically block these ports. My suspicion is that many users still rely on Windows firewall which as you correctly state is weak.

And personally, letting windows do what it wants with your system is seriously bad news, look what happened with XP SP2, it seriously screwed up many many machines..............
I agree I do not have auto updates turned on, my preference is to check for relevance to my situation before deciding to install. Many users however prefer to let the system take care of itself by allowing Microsoft to do its stuff
I posted a warning that I had received with a link explaining the problem and a suggested solution. Microsoft had thought it so serious that a patch had been released prior to be included within auto updates. Anyone reading the post will make up their own mind if the situation relevant and will take whatever action they wish

I took the warning seriously and acted accordingly. I have absolutely no problem with alternative views or indeed being corrected where I am in error.

What I do have problem with however is with this kind of flippant statement "or you could just close TCP ports 139 and 445 on the firewall...... " particularly as it does not offer any reasoning why, or the means to do it.

Please think carefully about your audience before posting

I would have to agree, and would recommend to, and would hope modems/routers would come per default with a lot of ports closed (incomming as outgoing). For instance the port 139, for most of the home owners this port when open has zero functionality for then but poses heaven for others who have bad intentions. The functionality of these port is about none for anybody when open for the internet. The only working functionality it offers is on a home or office LAN to access documents on a server or print to a central printer over the network. And even then for such situations there are way better ways to acomplish this.

How to turn this off? can't really be posted here as every type of modem / router is different in how to do that. At least install firwall software on each PC.

Latest posts

Back