windows and skirting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

give it a go

Reaction score
hello im new to the forum been reading for a while, think ur all great.

need some advice i have just moved into a new house built 120 years ago, it had about 140 coats of gloss so strip back round windows and skirting boards to find some beautifasl wood, unfortunately got lots of filler in it so i want to use a stain, varnish or whatever to cover but want some thing that will give it a good depth?? help please

Firstly,welcome to the forum :D

Secondly - what colour is it now ? I'm guessing it's light coloured (possibly pitch pine if that old)
How about coloured wax ? Something like a dark oak,to do a bit of covering up,but still have a nice shine.
Or are you looking for a stain,then a suitable finish over the top ?

Andrew

thank you for the reply it is a light pine at the moment, sorry to be thick but i have no idea, do i just put the wax on or do i use knotting solution? (because it has some knots in it or will that not be neccesary), once again thanks for the reply.

Knotting solution is used when sap might still weep out - shouldn't be needed on timber as old and dry as yours should be by now :wink:

Andrew

Latest posts

Back