Why no lights?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woody67

Established Member
Reaction score
As the title says........WHY do people not use their headlights in accordance with the weather conditions :twisted:

Driving to work this morning, -4, quite dark and freezing fog (visibility less than 10m) and STILL, people were driving with only sidelights and no fogs, or even (in more cases than you care to imagine) NO lights whatsoever. It really did beggar belief and makes my blood boil at the ineptitude of some dimwit drivers.

Sadly, exactly the same happened on the way home tonight and frankly, I got sick of cursing them and flicking my lights on and off in the vain attempt to remind them to make themselves visible to others. I was lit up like a Christmas tree and yet others vacantly drove around with no thought to others.

My dad is to blame for my conscientiousness as he, on many occasion, pointed out silly person drivers who didn't use their lights appropriately in inclement weather and it has stuck with me for the past 25 years.

Anyhoo, rant over - I'm going now to lie in a darkened room and listen to some whale calls!! :D

Mark

And how often is it a mucky grey car as well so it really blends into the fog well... :roll:
My Mazda has automatic lights, but even that doesn't turn on when I sometimes think it should so I turn them on myself - it's easy :)

And don't get me started on bicycles with no lights in the dark on unlit A roads like the silly person on the A10 on Sunday... :evil:

Hey Pete - You know that silly person on a bike with no lights on, on the A10 last week...................................................................

:wink: :wink:

Sorry Pete - Couldn't resist, you know like when you tell a 3 year old, NOT to look in the box............

Mark :D

woody67":2dqof2ab said:
As the title says........WHY do people not use their headlights in accordance with the weather conditions :twisted:

In Scandinavia and Eastern Europe it is mandatory for night and day, every day of the year, to have dipped headlights on. If you have an accident and are not using dipped headlights then you are guilty, your insurance company will not pay out, and you might possibly be prosecuted by the Police for driving without due care (or whatever the equivalent charge is in those countries).

I am told it will be mandatory in all of mainland Europe soon so UK had better do some catching up.

Yes Mark, it costs nothing to put your headlights on, and may save your life.

My car has the option in it's settings to have "Driving Lights" on - which I set it to.

New cars after Feb 2011 will have to drive with lights on in the UK:

In September 2008 the European Commission adopted a proposal for a Directive that will introduce dedicated daytime running light (DRL) on all new types of passenger cars and small delivery vans from February 2011 onwards. Trucks and buses will follow from August 2012 onwards.

There will be no requirement to retro-fit daytime running lights to existing cars and no Europe-wide requirement for drivers of cars without dedicated daytime running lights to drive with headlights on during the day.

Where fitted, dedicated daytime running lights will switch on automatically when the engine is started.

Another of my pet hates is people driving with the rear fog lights on when it's dark and very little fog. All that does is blind the drivers behind?

Rod

With all that has been said above - You can be sure of one thing.

As soon as the fog has gone and you get a good clear night - every pipper whos got fog lights on the front of their cars will be driving with them switched on!!

My pet hate - They use them when they dont need them - But when its foggy they turn them off!

Sorry Rant over

Rog

I noticed the same thing very early this morning. I also get frustrated by people driving around with their lights on during a clear, sunny day - for their benefit, I would like to assume that this is so they can see their dashboard clearly but, we know that's certainly not always the case... :roll:

What makes matters worse in thick fog is people driving around with their full beams on. It's not so much the fact that it blinds the other driver but, as the light simply reflects back off the fog, you're seriously impairing your own visibility. ](*,) Also, when drivers don't dip their lights on the approach to the brow of a hill - that really gets me! :x

Harbo":20qwjph6 said:
Another of my pet hates is people driving with the rear fog lights on when it's dark and very little fog. All that does is blind the drivers behind?
I've always assumed that's because they have a physical switch to turn the rear fog light on and off and they just forget to turn them off at the end of their journey.
Luckily for me my Mazda 5 automatically turns off the rear fog when I turn off the engine or turn off the front fog lights.

woody67":1r96lkml said:
Mark

Because they are d*ckheads, simples!

I always look to see who's driving, possibly cos I'm expecting to see a chimp or educated labrador driving, and I can honestly say that 80% of the time it's a woman, or coffin dodger!

Not being sexist or 'oldist', just my observations! :wink:

Pond":2k6vc16m said:
I always look to see who's driving, possibly cos I'm expecting to see a chimp or educated labrador driving, and I can honestly say that 80% of the time it's a woman, or coffin dodger!

You'll probably find more "coffin dodgers" on a woodowrking forum than anywhere else and there are probably a few chimps too!

I get really p1ssed off with people driving in broad daylight with their headlights on, there is no need and with the current trend to fitting ever brighter headlamps you get continually blinded from both front and rear.

As the eyes adjust to shutting out the light from such lamps people will become accustomed to only expecting road hazards that are brightly lit. This then brings the risk that they will miss something that is not lit up like a christmas tree, such as a person or a cyclist.

Do people think that driving with their lights on makes them safer? Better that they pay attention to what's going on around them rather than expecting everyone else to get out of their way.

Like many I'd like to see steering wheel airbags replaced by a big spike!

Hi,

Its because the dashboards are always lit in most modern cars, it looks like you have your lights on when you haven't, when they put the clocks back you see loads (mostly women) with no lights on! I flashed one loads of times but she didn't get the message, probaly thought it was just some mad biker behind her :evil: :D

Pete

myturn":3ls02mwt said:
Pond":3ls02mwt said:

You'll probably find more "coffin dodgers" on a woodowrking forum than anywhere else and there are probably a few chimps too!
Guess what? Women are allowed here too. Whatever next...

I wonder how many of you brilliant drivers who know it all are the ones getting roundly cursed by everyone else? I'll take a guess at 80%. :wink:

myturn":nhajwruq said:
I get really p1ssed off with people driving in broad daylight with their headlights on, there is no need and with the current trend to fitting ever brighter headlamps you get continually blinded from both front and rear.

As the eyes adjust to shutting out the light from such lamps people will become accustomed to only expecting road hazards that are brightly lit. This then brings the risk that they will miss something that is not lit up like a christmas tree, such as a person or a cyclist.

Do people think that driving with their lights on makes them safer? Better that they pay attention to what's going on around them rather than expecting everyone else to get out of their way.

Sorry mick but I can't agree :!:

We live in a climate with far more dull days than bright ones, on roads that are way overcrowded and a large number of drivers who are inexperienced / arogant / careless or just bloody stupid.

Anything that helps make my vehicle more visible to those people can't be a bad thing IMO and might just stop some silly person pulling out of a side road into my path when I'm travelling at 60 or 70mph. Is that not why motorcyclists drive with headlights - to be seen?

The manufacturers clearly don't agree with you either as most half decent cars now come with the option as standard and I wouldn't be at all surprised if it becomes a requirement at some stage.

Properly adjusted, dipped headlights should not dazzle anyone in daylight or low light conditions and any experienced driver wouldn't look directly into the beam in any event.

As it happens, I don't drive with lights on all the time but will always do so in dull conditions for the reasons stated. My car has that facility but also has an automatic lights on setting which is what I use (as I'm a lazy git). :)

if so doing potentially saves mine or someone elses' life then I don't give a hoot if it p***** off a few people :wink:

Now driving at night with lights on full or with fog lamps in clear conditions is a different matter entirely :evil:

Bob

myturn":3qbxyst5 said:

Sorry don't want to offend anyone. I'll re-phrase it: mature people who tend to wear hats while driving.

Alf":2x3imc8j said:
Guess what? Women are allowed here too. Whatever next...
I wonder how many of you brilliant drivers who know it all are the ones getting roundly cursed by everyone else? I'll take a guess at 80%. :wink:

Madam, I don't wish to offend anyone. As I said, it is my honest observations, driving 20,000 miles a year.

I don't have a problem with women, I even married one! I don't even have a problem with women drivers; someone has to pick me up from the pub! :wink:

Of course I am the best driver on the road and everyone else is an silly person! :wink: Not sure if anyone else thinks like me :roll:

woody67":2u0hfr4u said:
Mark

A Swedish friend of mine asked "is there a competition at night for the last driver to switch on their lights?"

Pond":1gcffazn said:
woody67":1gcffazn said:
Mark

Because they are d*ckheads, simples!

The French have their ways!

Frenchdrivers.jpg

Some of them drive with their headlights clearly on show too :shock: especially BMW drivers

BMWdriver2.jpg

BMWdrivera.jpg

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

I agree with most that's been said about the lights issue, but on a related topic (ie that of beeing seen) why is it that the bikers almost constantly wear black gear? Even with their lights on, in difficult diving conditions they become almost impossible to see. I know it's a macho male thing but I'm sure the chances of them being involved in an RTA would be reduced if other road users could see them - Rob

What about Volvo drivers who drive around with their lights on all day. Don't get me started on Volvo drivers!!

Back