Which planes to buy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Berserker":3lf65aqf said:
tobytools":3lf65aqf said:
Berserker":3lf65aqf said:
Thanks for all the advice guys, I'll look out for a No. 5 Stanley probably. I've seen them refurbed and honed for under £50 so I'm hoping it will be okay... I can't believe the prices some planes go for!

Thanks again.

I personally think older record planes area better than Stanley, feel better and made better but that's me, my opinion. (fact) For £50 you could get a good no6 jack and a no4 smoother.
Record all the way- brittish
If you think £50 is alot check out holtey hand planes or infill planes :)
TT

Thanks tobytools, I'm watching a few old Record ones on ebay too. I wasn't referring to the £50 when I said how expensive they can be, more the £150+ that people are suggesting as budget planes and the £300+ ones I've seen on my searches :shock:

Some people hate eBay but I've had some gems off that site and some poo, when you get a plane post what you got and everyone will advise how to get it at 100%
As you haven't had much experience with plane get an old cruddy one and have a play with it and learn how to understand it and most off all enjoy it, good luck

Ps, if you can affort it get a record T5 have been loads on eBay, good for shooting, finishing ect, a bit of advice have 2 irons one with a very, very slight camber for finishing and shooting and a more aggressive camber for stock removal. Hope this helps
TT

longinthetooth":2dszit2d said:
G S Haydon":2dszit2d said:
... something that looks good will most likely be good.

It's silly to say that to a novice. It's not about how it 'looks' - what can a novice 'see'? Above all it's about how accurate the sole is. How is the novice to assess this?

I had assumed that a novice would "see" missing screws, broken or cracked handles, rust etc is "basket case" (unless you like restoring tools). If it's clean and not broken with all the bits it's most likely "good". If your e-baying it there will always be a risk of something being missed, finding out how flat the sole is would be hard to do unless the seller is clued up. And if required the sole can be flattened once purchased. The OP was "what planes to buy" not "what are the things I should be looking for when buying a second hand plane". My response was a quick bit of advice, I fail to to see anything silly in that.
What is "silly" is wasting your time nit picking. If you had said "in addition to looking good, if you are able to check the sole for flatness, it will save time later" that would of helped the OP. And on a #4 that I recommended, how long does it take to flatten a sole? Not long IME

FWIW, Paul 'this is proper woodworking' Sellers seems to do everything with a Stanley No4

Me, I prefer my Stanley No 5 which cost me £17 off the bay

Berserker":1jjwykgt said:
Grayorm":1jjwykgt said:
This would do nicely. Just get some advice setting it up and it will be as good as you need and possibly better if fettled properly. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-R...lectable_ToolsHasdware_RL&hash=item4611e1649d

I might have a crack at this one, thanks... if one of you guys doesn't beat me too it!

Thanks again for all your input, I'll make sure to post what I end up with and I'm sure I'll be asking what the hell to do with it!

Hello,

Just don't ask how to sharpen it!

Mike.

woodbrains":1280qszu said:
Berserker":1280qszu said:
Grayorm":1280qszu said:
This would do nicely. Just get some advice setting it up and it will be as good as you need and possibly better if fettled properly. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-R...lectable_ToolsHasdware_RL&hash=item4611e1649d

I might have a crack at this one, thanks... if one of you guys doesn't beat me too it!

Thanks again for all your input, I'll make sure to post what I end up with and I'm sure I'll be asking what the hell to do with it!

Hello,

Just don't ask how to sharpen it!

Mike.

Yeah I've seen other threads on sharpening... can of worms!

Well I managed to get the Record No. 5 recommended by Grayorm above for £32, thanks for all the helpful opinions!

cslq.jpg

Berserker":sg41igjr said:
Well I managed to get the Record No. 5 recommended by Grayorm above for £32, thanks for all the helpful opinions!

cslq.jpg

A good price. Excellent tool!!

Very nice. It looks nice and tidy. It's from Record's golden years, with solid faced frog, etc. (1931 to 1959ish).

I hope it performs well for you (but if it doesn't there's plenty of fettling advice available).

Cheers, Vann.

"It looks nice and tidy", always a good rule of thumb when buying on ebay :)

Vann":vl04hmvf said:
Very nice. It looks nice and tidy. It's from Record's golden years, with sold faced frog, etc. (1931 to 1959ish).

I hope it performs well for you (but if it doesn't there's plenty of fettling advice available).

Cheers, Vann.

Yes - it has the "sharp cornered" blade that I always look for as a preliminary "this might be a good 'un" check.

As per:

http://www.recordhandplanes.com/dating.html

BugBear

Back